I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LS Supreme High Build
Posted by: Ron Greenbank (---.cot.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 11:45AM

What do you guys know about LS Supreme High Build? I've seen it mentioned a few times and checked their website but they don't mention it. I'm wondering mostly about bubble release and working time. I'm finally getting faster at applying finish but have a hard time getting one coat to work with regular LS. I've never had an air bubble in the regular LS and love it for that reason.
Any info and/or hints for the high build would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS Supreme High Build
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2005 11:48AM

Bubble release is good. Same working time as the regular formual, about 40 minutes. Very thick in the mix cup but can be applied thinly if desired.

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.37.245.35.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:07PM

Ordered some LS Hi-build recently but haven't tried it yet. I had heard LS doens't like heat very much and I'm used to torching FC to the point of run-off to level out the wraps and get rid of tiny bubbles. Hey, I learned that way and it works for me ! (unless you get too aggressive with the heat).
Do I have to abandon my "flaming" ways to be successful with LS Hi-build? Thought I'd tap into the collective experience here before doing some practice wraps.

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 01:56PM

I find the stuff to be fabulous. My routine is to use a first coat of regular LS and follow up with one coat of LS High Build. A second coat of High Build is needed sometimes if the cross wrap is high. The finish comes out crystal clear and level. Since I started my routine I've never had to go back and do touch up on the guide feet either as the stuff is thick enough that it covers even the highest guide feet. It's great stuff.

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 01:56PM

pressed post one too many times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2005 01:58PM by keith fischer.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2005 02:26PM

You do not want to "torch" the Supreme (I can't imagine having to do that to any finish, but I know that some do). Supreme will easily boil if you put that kind of heat on it. Just let it do what it knows how to do. If you're going to use it and like it, you'll have to adapt your finishing technique a little bit.

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 07:37AM

LS is great stuff. The first time I used it, I applied it with a brush, but quickly switched over to a narrow butter knife. No heat is necessary. The most important thing I've learned is to get it on the wraps and leave it alone. It self levels and releases bubbles pretty nicely. The more you touch it, the less likely you are to end up with a level finish.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 25, 2005 08:46AM

I've used LS Supreme for quite awhile. I've not tried the LS Supreme High-Build yet. However, I can address the bubble release issue a little. The stuff is fantastic about releasing bubbles on its own. But, if you do manage to introduce some bubbles, especially late in the curing process, you can still get them out pretty easily.

For example, on long butt wraps, I glob the stuff on, finish my guide wraps, then go back and brush the butt wrap lengthwise. My finish is usually starting to set-up some at this point. Needless to say, I'll occasionally introduce some bubbles when I do this. And, with the LS already hardening, the bubbles won't necessarily release on their own.

All I do is take a straw (little coffee stir stick straws seem to work best), and blow on every single part of the butt wrap. This releases all the bubbles. You could just blow on the bubbles that you can see, and that would likely take care of it. But, I've discovered that I won't see all the bubbles (especially ones over metallic threads), so I blow on the whole butt wrap area just to be sure. This will also work for the occasional bubble on a guide wrap too.

I probably wouldn't have any bubble issues if I went to a spatula AND didn't try to work my epoxy after 40 minutes or so. But, I'm used to the brush, and I'm cheap, so I try to get all the guide wraps and the butt wrap done with one pot of finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster