I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finally!
Posted by: Greg Hileman (216.218.207.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 09:53PM

I just pulled my best rod to date off of the dryer. It is a Dan Craft Sig V 8'4" 3/4 weight blank using black framed guides with gold rings and Sulky metallic pine green thread with gold trim. Simple but nice. My first higher cost blank that I've built on, and it turned out good (especially for me). It is nothing fancy (mostly to keep weight down), but everything turned out right for once. Even the decal went on without a problem. I even added the alignment decal dots and they went on just fine. I put the reel with line on it and the thing balances in the center of the grip. I can't wait for the next 3 days to pass so that I can get it out and cast it after the finish fully cures. From what I've read, it should make me just as happy with function (if not more so). I've had this for a few months just trying to get some more building experience so I wouldn't waste an exceptional blank with my rookie mistakes. Well, now it is time for the Rainshadow RX8 2 weight. I'll probably get cocky and trash it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally!
Posted by: Bud Mickelsen (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:27AM

Congradulations,you have got the rodbuilders bug, Nothing is greater than doing what you,ve accomplished. Just wait until you hook and land the big one on a rod your done.The wonders of it all, are that no matter how many you build or design the feeling of doing something good you have done. this field allows so many variables and ideas it is endless, what one can do and accomplish.
enjoy your new talent, Bud Mickelsen

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:44AM

Way to go Greg!

I've only built about 15 rods...but when I pull it off like you did...Wow...what a neat feeling.

By the way....Your Sig. V 3/4 wt (OK.....4 wt) is going to knock your socks off when you get a chance to throw a line with it. I had mine out for a short whirl in the yard tonight...I giggle whenever I put it through the paces. A couple of weeks before we get to team up on trout again. I think we're both chomping at the bit!

Mine has chestnut wraps, sunburst trim, one gold ring stripper, classic snakes, and a beautiful piece of Ambonya wood from Andy Dear for the seat.

Enjoy...

Keep us posted...

Keith

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 09:15AM

I've built several rods up to this point and they have all been a pleasure to fish, but this one is the first that I think looks really nice. I would post a few pictures, but I don't have a macro lens on my digital camera, so it doesn't do very well for rods. We'll see how the 2 wt goes, and I have a 6 wt to do for the wife after that. Then a catfish rod of some sort. Yep, addictive is a good word for it.

Posted by: David Olley (---.onspeed.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 09:20AM

I just finished a Dancraft 10' 4 wt and that turned out to be the best i've done so far.
last night it had its first outing.
Fishing from a float tube it cast better than it looks, and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
First fish to the new rod was a 4lb 4oz Rainbow.
One very happy man with a few jealous friends!

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:40AM

Greg & David,

Good to see your post. Not stealing it....but it helped me to read this thread. I am building my first rod, and sorta new to fly fishing. Everyone up here uses a 9' rod. I was wondering about a 10' for pontoon float tube, or pontoon boat. So far, kinda been told it's not a good idea. I was already going to ask how light I could go with a 10' for lakes. You just answered that for me. I now know what my next rod build is going to be. And I can't wait to get the bucks to build it and try it out. A 10' 4wt.

Thanks Greg and David

Jim Williams

Date: May 24, 2005 11:11AM

Hi Jim
I like the longer rod for fishing from a float tube. It helps keep the line up on the backcast, otherwise I have a tendency to catch the water from time to time!
Regards
Dave

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (134.192.173.---)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:26PM

I just put together a Sig V 5wt using parts that Dan recommended, and it was my most pain free build to date. The blank was already spined. The metal winding check fit perfectly out of the box. The BUL5 reel seat required one wrap of tape to shim. The grip that he ships with the BUL5 reel seat was the nicest one that I have used to date, and it was bargain compared to the lesser quality, but more expensive cork that I have received from other vendors. The lightweight snake guides wrapped effortlessly after minor stoning to remove the wire edge from each foot. I still need to finish the wraps on the butt section of the rod, but I am positive that it will be a winner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2005 12:28PM by Mark Van Ditta.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 06:46PM

I am kind of new to TROUT fly fishing. I fished a little as a kid by myself with a $6.75 six foot fiberglass for bluegill. Now retired. A whole bunch of trout lakes up here. The local fly club members fish the lakes a lot and the word is to cast as far as you can and find the good count down number and retreive. Well....I bought an Orvis thinking it was a 9' 6" rod. It plainly says Length 9' 6 which you can, without close inspection think it is a 9' 6" rod. Now I look a little closer it says Length 9' 6 wt line! Anywhooo......just to try to cast "as far out as you can and retreive".... I was thinking about building a 10' rod. Now.....I am going forward with the idea. Some things you gotta find out for yourself. Sometimes, if it is an idea that has already been proven to not work.....I don't want to use a lot of my time and resources re-inventing the wheel to find out it just doesn't work. Now that I know some people have done it and are doing it, I WILL build one and find out for myself. And I kinda been told not a good idea. More than once. Curious David what line weight you using on that 10 footer 4 wt. AND....congratulations on that rainbow. Apologize....guess I am sorta butting in on a post. Thanks for the info you guys. You never know what a little post or thread does for someone else's morale or questions they may have. I just thanky you all for the thread and letting me but in, cause it just helped me out a lot. Thanks for starting it Greg.

Seriously appreciative....

Jim

Posted by: Greg Hileman (216.218.207.---)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:20PM

No problem with the topic changes. My mind usually runs me on a bit of a twisting path, so following this thread hasn't been a problem at all. Plus if it helped someone else with a totally separate issue, that's kinda like multi-tasking, right? And that is usually a good thing, too. :) I'm going to be looking into a 10' Dan Craft FT before long myself, now.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 01:42AM

Thanks Greg, I feel more better. For real.
Jim

Date: May 25, 2005 04:46AM

Hi Jim
The line I have been using is a Cortland 444 Lazer Floater in 4 wt. I tend to aerialise a lot of line and the FT blank will cast almost an entire fly line. I feel that the rod would easily handle a 5 wt for closer work and will try that next.
Its a great blank and great value for money.
I am pretty new to rod building and find it a great hobby. You not only get the interest of the build but afterward you get some great toys to play with. The only downside is that my wife is beginning to wonder just how many fishing rods I need!!
Regards
Dave

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 01:24PM

David,

Thanks for that. I have heard so much about going up one weight in the fly line, therefore the question about what line to use. I remember reading about how it affects distance, I need to go back and re-read. But, distance is what I am interested in. And a long rod that not going to wear me out too quick. What a cool website this is. I know I can buy back issues of Rodmaker Mag. I am not necessarily loaded with greenbacks though. I just read the thread on grinding feet. What a spendid bunch of good information. I tried a hand held dremel and a flat file on some wire double foot snakes and not too pleased with myself. I ordered some single foot ceramics, but gonna practice some more on some cheapies before I start on the single foot FINAL guides. Mr. Kirkman has had to have received all the compliments he probably ever needs....but I can't help but say it. What a great bunch of good he is providing for a big world of us out here. As redundant as it might be, I just have to say "Hat's Off to Mr. Tom Kirkman!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster