I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem with a reel seat
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 07:33PM

I am building my first fly rod. Bought the components from one of the well known online / catalogs (not going to name them - it may not be their fault and there is probably nothing they can realistically do about it.) The problem concerns the handle kit: cork handle and reel seat combo.

So I ream out my cork and tape up the rod blank. Glue on the reel seat, glue on the cork, wrap the guides, and then I go to mount a reel to see how it feels. Well, turns out that the reel seat (probably the wooden insert part) was too short. Even with the locking mechanism fully open, I can't fit the reel into the seat. The reel slides into the front part a little ways but there is just not enough room to have the other end fit into the other arbor.

I posted a picture here:

[www.onlinedesign.us]

Next time, I am "dry fitting" everything before doing any glueing. I guess that I could cut the reel seat off but I would have to cut thru cork as well because of the recessed arbor and that would detract from the handle a bit not to mention the problems with fitting something to extend the now butchered blank to mount a new reel seat. Or I can grind the "foot" on the reel down to a size that will fit.

Anyone ever run into this before? Any other ideas?

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with a reel seat
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 07:39PM

If it's really close to fitting, and it's your own rod and reel, just cut a bit of the foot of the reel off.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 23, 2005 07:54PM

Putter,

I am 99% sure that's what I am going to do. I bought the reel for this rod and dont have any others that need to go on it - so its gonna be bench grinder time to knock off 3/16" off both ends and maybe a bit off the top side so it slides into the arbors. Maybe even paitn the reel foot so it looks nice after the grinding ;)

Jim

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:00PM

James,
From the appearance in the photo, it appears that the upper hood of the reel seat wasn't secured to the very end (upper end) of the wooden insert. If the hood wasn't securely epoxied at the time that you pushed the grip down over the upper hood, the upper hood may have slid down the wooden insert. Many inletted cork grips are bored out much deeper than the depth of the upper hood.

Good luck with your recovery efforts.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.colorado.edu)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:22PM

James,

Don't use a bench grinder. The foot on your reel is probably aluminum which will clog up the grinding wheel and cause some serious problems. Use a belt sander and have some water handy that you can periodically quench the foot in.

Also, if you need to take off as much as 3/16" on either end of the foot, it might not fit at all. The foot is tapered and as you grind down the length the thickness will increase and possibly be to thick to fit the hood of the reel seat.

Mark

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.225.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:39PM

contact the reel's manufacturer for a replacement if it's separate from the reel's main body, just in case shaving off a bit leaves it unusable.

eric
fresno, ca..

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:15PM

Why don't you heat up the reel seat cap and remove it, unscrew the lock ring and remove the sliding hood? With the hood in hand carefully grind down the back edge about 1/4 inch to allow the reel foot to clear and then touch up the ground edge with a matt black finish. Re-assemble and go fishing. Should work.

Good luck,

Bill

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:36PM

you know what by looking at the pic.. it looks to me that maybe when he inserted it into the cork there might have been to much epoxy and filled the upper hood because the reel doesant look like its going in all the way stick a flash light in there to see............ and if there is clear it out with a hobby knife before you go tearing it up

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.153.185.230.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:35AM

The reel seat foot is shaped so that it increases in height the closer to the reel you get. This shape is what causes a reel foot to lock under reel seat hoods.

The problem is in the reel seat, not the foot on the reel. Fix the reel seat. Grinding on the reel will only result in two items that are now non-standard - the reel seat and the reel foot. Remove the problem components and make the necessary adjustments to correct this problem.

With some careful cutting you won't have to remove the entire grip, just the 2-3 rings that form the inletted portion of the grip. Replace with like cork rings and new parts using typical assembly practices.

Date: May 24, 2005 06:52AM

Thanks for all the good ideas. One way or the other, I think this will work out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 07:40AM

You could also try to get a large file round or a made cork reamer or a lighter with sandpaper on it and take some off of the curve under the feet . This will make the feet lay closer to the seat and possibly get it to fit. And the work will not be seen
Like said check to see if there is any epoxy in the hood.
Also if you have an old seat that you will not use, make it fit, as it is tightened into the hoods, they some times reajust them selfs and form a better fit

Posted by: Bob Crook (65.54.155.---)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:00AM

Just looking at the picture the insert is the shortest I've ever seen. I think if it was my rod I would remve the insert and get a new one the proper length. You should be able to save the hardware so all you need is the insert.

Just my opinion however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2005 10:02AM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 07:03PM

I just had this problem with an insert I made. I thought I made it too short. I tried one of my other reels and it fit fine. The reel I tried first has a long foot, nearly 5/16" longer than my Tioga. Check the length of the foot on the reel that won't fit.

Date: May 25, 2005 08:50PM

Bill Vance's suggestion seemed like the best but I could not get the epoxy to melt and did not want more problems so I ended up just grinding the foot on the reel to a size that now fits the reel seat. Not a big deal - its my first fly rod build and the reel was on sale cheap at Gander Mt when I bought it so they can stay mated for life. I can only imagine that some how the top arbor was pushed down when the cork handle was pushed down but I thought it was fixed to the top of the wooden insert - its a mystery.

Thanks all for the good ideas

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster