I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8'6" spinning blank for panfish
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 05:29PM

My wife's grandad is looking for a 8'6" spinning rod for crappie/panfish, using a ul reel with 2-4# test line. As a gift, I'm tempted to build him one using a St. Croix SCIII 8'6" 4wt. flyrod blank that I have, but would really appreciate any other blank suggestions! Many Thanks! Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8'6" spinning blank for panfish
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 06:22PM

Personally, I would build on the lightest weight blank you can get. Those are tiny jigs. A 1 or 2 weight would be great, even if you have to drop down in length.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: May 23, 2005 06:41PM

I'd be careful personnaly if fishing 4lb. I could be wrong but I'm sure there are a few 1 weight rods that would snap fairly easily with 4lb. 3/4 wt sounds about right to me depending on the model.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:00PM

I have two customers who have me build spinning rods on St. Croix AVID 7'6" fly blanks, they generally use 2 lb test and have landed up to 7lb trout on these outfits. One uses his for streams, the other also trolls with them as noodle rods.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:10PM

I have been building a fair amount of these sweet rods this spring and I'll tell ya not to go below a 3 weight. The guides add enough weight to get the rod flexed and loaded up. They cast a good distance even with a tiny jig. And a Mile with a bobber. I built a 9' 3 Weight and the guy caught a 30"+ catfish on it.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (65.19.129.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 09:42PM

I built one on a forecast salmon/steelhead blank (9' 4-8 lb) and I love it. It has a soft tip that is perfect for those paper mouths and will throw for a mile.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:11PM

I recently finished a Cabela's PT moderate action 9ft. 3wt. blank built as a spinning rod for a friend. With 2 lb. STREN and setting the drag at 1 lb. on a reel with a very good drag, the rod had a dangerously Full bend. To not endanger the rod, I set the drag at 12 oz. What I'm trying to say is that if you want to use 4 # premium line yuo need to use a 6 or 7 wt. blank

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 08:57AM

Put the line weight over 16 as a fraction and you will be in the ball park on the lure weight

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 01:39PM

Thanks, I appreciate all of your replies! I'm going to try rigging up the 4wt. blank with temporary guides (#6 alconites) and give it a test run. Thanks again for your ideas and helpful info!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster