I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drywall Screens...
Posted by: Tony Robinson (---.lockheedfcu.org)
Date: May 23, 2005 04:45PM

Looked up an earlier post regarding turning cork/eva/hypalon. Frequent recommendation was to use 60/80 grit for major work and 150/220 for finishing. No problem finding sheets of 150/220 grit drywall "screens". I'm only finding 60/80 grit in drywall "sheets"...same thing or is there such a thing as 60/80 grit drywall "screens".

Only other thing was packets of "fine" or "medium" drywall screens, but no grit #s on the packets (at least as far as I could tell). Both appeared to have larger screens than the 220 grit screen I found.

Am I just looking in the wrong places (Home Depot, Lowes, OSH, Do-It Center...)?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drywall Screens...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2005 04:52PM

A sheet can be cut into strips as wide as you need. Real hardware stores are more likey to have it than those you mentioned, but I don't think it really matters. I would think 60/80 get drywall screen would be considered "coarse." Most times, medium is 120 to 150 and fine is 220.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 05:17PM

I bought a 'roll' of (60 or 80??) grit at NAPA that's working well for me.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 23, 2005 05:38PM

Clarification...when I say "sheets", I mean like sheets of sandpaper as opposed to the large sheets of drywall screens. Both the drywall sheets and screens were the same size cuts.

The highest (coarsest) grit of the actual drywall screens was the 150. Anything else above that (80 grit) was a labeled a drywall "sheet" (and looked like a regular sheet of sandpaper). I'm trying to figure out if the 80 grit comes in an open "screen" like the 150 and 220.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2005 05:39PM by Tony Robinson.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:45PM

TOny it does, but not sold at the Major HArdware stores like HD & Lowe's. YOu gotta look a little harder, find out where Construction/Contractor guys buy their stuff, then work out a deal to split up a gigantic 25 or 100 bulk pack of 80 grit.

IMHO - I cannot tell the difference in finish between 80, 120/150, & 220 screen - it all comes out smooth enough for me to finish off with regular 220, 320 Wet, 400 Wet & a piece of denim cloth (EVA/Hypalon)

Date: May 24, 2005 10:42AM

Hi Billy:

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions. That's what I kinda figured... Ran into the same kind of thing looking for the scotch brite pads (7446 and 7448). Found any and every other kind of pad, but those specific ones. Finally found both in an old paint supply store.

Anyway, it sounds like I can still get the job done with what I've found. I'm turning EVA for the first time and figured getting the coarser 60/80 grit would make the job easier and preferred the screens for this task. I'll give the 150/220 a go and see what happens.

Thanks to all that replied!
Tony

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 05:48PM

A Stanley Sure Form (sp) file is fantastic for quickly removing material. We're talking seconds!! You do have to be careful not to take to much off though! Works great for rounding of square EVA blocks.

Mike

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 12:56AM

You should also consider using 3M “Fre-Cut" sandpaper. It does not load like the cheap stuff. It also lasts a lot longer than ordinary sandpaper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster