I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color combo ideas, pics, and where to buy thread
Posted by: obren Vranesevic (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 05:43PM

i have two black blanks. on one blank i would like to wrap with black, bright green, and silver. for the second one i would like to wrap with black, bright orange, and silver. i am having trouble finding a nice bright green and bright orange color. Sean Endres has a rod in his gallery that has a nice bright green and if possible i would like to get the same one. does anyone have any advice to find nylon thread on the web where they have an extensive collection especially that particular green?

if i can't find the right color i will have to rethink my color scheme. is there a website, other than rodbuilding.org, where i can look at already wrapped rods for color combo ideas? or for those who are proud of theirs can you please post pics of your rods, especially the detail by the reel seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color combo ideas, pics, and where to buy thread
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 06:52PM

Look in the big fabric stores for Sulky or Madeira Polyneon threads. A much larger selection of colors to match what you want to do. Also a much larger selection and easier to use IMO metallic thread is the Sulky metallics. Jo Ann's, and other larger fabric stores have them. My first Sulky threads I found at a Ben Franklin store.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 09:45PM

If you are after bright orange or green, with a nylon thread, on a black blank you are in a world of hurt. These are tough colors to get a wide band to stay consistant and bright. Pack, Pack, Pack and use NCP and a couple of coats of CP. The orange on Toms' rods in the photo gallery are examples that it can be done. My tries to duplicate Florida Gators, orange, just did not work until I kept the orange bands to a minimum width and used the above procedures. I think if I was after a real wide area that I would start with a painted undercoat of orange or white to get a head start. These things apply to nylon thread - the metallics will hold if you can find the color needed.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: david williams (65.67.215.---)
Date: May 27, 2005 02:39AM

go to janns netcraft. i just did orange wraps with silver trim on black blank. orange stayed bright
with two coats (saturated) of cp. rod looked real good with the silver trim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster