I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat not only for rods thought id share a good laugh
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2005 02:19PM

hello everyone seems were all human here i thought id share... i was finishing up a rod this weekend when i was putting on the grip wich i might ad was a 10 inch rear so i had the usual extra epoxy on the blank i was sliding it down and epoxy had dripped on my leg thinkin to myself ill get it in a minute?????????? right well i forgot about it it ran down about 3 inches and started drying.. so i sat the rod up to dry and was watching tv and felt something sticky laughing at myself because i forgot i grabbed some dry wall tape and pressed against it because i couldent get it off with out ripping hair.. and that dont feel good so i pulled it off and lost hair any way man did it hurt and now i got a bald spot on my leg about 3inches long and around a inch... so if your wife ever wants a wax just let them know you got a bottle of flex coat and tape laying on the rod bench somewhere at half the cost although mine wouldent go for it but she did laugh at my leg i had to share this with you guys i thought it was funny darn good hair removel lol tight line crabtree's customs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat not only for rods thought id share a good laugh
Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:01PM

Robert,
ya brought a huge smile to my face! I was just sitting here "washing up" (with acetone) to clean off the never ending dribbles, drops and slobs of epoxy. I think that I need another hand to keep from having to wash down everything in sight. It is nice to hear that I am not alone when it comes to the occasional (ok more often than not) epoxy monsters.

I will have to suggest your "tip" to my girlfriend although I think that it is going to be a hard sell. Maybe if I put on some of that light rock stuff that they always play where she normally gets this done and I offer her a some fru-fru drink she may go for it.

Well on second though maybe I will just tell her to have a nice time and enjoy a Barley Soda for myself.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:34PM

Tom,You may want to do a search on this site about acetone.I really hope for your sake the washing up you were doing was equiptment and not your skin.Acetone is dangerous and when absorbed through the skin can cause all kinds of problems.alcohol is the strongest solvent you need for rod building(rubbing or denatured).In time if you keep using the acetone to clean you fingers you can kiss rod building goodby due to sore joints and cracked skin.Reserve the skin clean up to soap and water and a good brush.The extra elbow grease will pay off in the long run.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 23, 2005 11:56AM

Fred,
Fortunately enough, I have not been using the acetone on my hands when at all possible. The washing up has been on equipment and assorted other things ( well most everything). I appreciate the concern and thank you for looking out for those of us less knowledgable!!

Well off to go put the epoxy on a couple of those All-Star blanks that I picked up a while back.

Thanks and have a good one.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster