I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What happens when you...
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 05:54PM

What happens when you don't use CP on a colored thread guide wrap and finish it with Flex Coat high build?

Let's say it is a bright red color thread. Does it turn a darker shade of red and the threads blend together?

On the few rods that I have done, I have used CP and it does preserve the color but the individual threads show through. Some wraps that I have seen, it looks like the threads blend together and appear as a solid wrap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What happens when you...
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 06:10PM

James
1-question, depends on color of thread and color of blank, the epoxy is basicly clear. Size thread comes in to play also.

2-question, OK , how about size of thread, type of thread , wrap, burnish it ? blank color ? , under wrap ? paint under wrap ? , some things to consider , you make it what you want.

3-question, Yes , CP , works. lets say you wrap a dark blank, with a medium to dark thread, make nice tight & packed wrap, burnish well , this could look as though threads will blend together as a solid wrap.

Be more detailed with questions so we can all give you our best answers.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2005 06:19PM by David von Doehren.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2005 06:20PM

Regular nylon thread tends to turn somewhat translucent and mirrors the blank underneath. The darker the blank, the deep or darker the thread will turn.

What you might want to do, is just make a few sample wraps on a scrap piece of blank or old rod that is similar in color to what you intend to do. Apply finish and you'll soon know what things are going to look like. The best surprise is no surprise.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 06:46PM

The use of NCP thread will give you the flat, painted look which, in many opinions, lacks the "sparkle/brilliance of regular nylon thread. I think that most prefer to see the individual threads.

Tom said it all. Make up some sample/test wrap to see the different effects. Paint a piece of dowel black and practice with it. It won't take long before you will have a pretty good idea of what various threads/wraps will look like.

Mike

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 07:15PM

Hmmm, burnishing? Not sure what that is - I try to push my threads together but is there another step that I am missing?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 07:38PM

Hi James,

"packing" is pushing all of your threads tightly against each other and "burnishing" is rubbing a burnishing tool of some sort ( anf round/flat object like a popsicle stick, pen, etc) over your wrap to "flatten it..

You cannot burnish or pack too much!

Mike

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 09:55PM

A good place to make a trial wrap is down on the butt underneath where the handle and reel seat will go. Do a wrap with several color threads and then give them a coat of finish. When they dry you can cut it off and it gets covered up anyway.
A burnisher is a plastic or metal tool for mashing down threads over the tag ends and for flattening the threads a little and making the spaces between them small.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster