I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Bands within the guide wrap question
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 12:40PM

I wanted to take a poll on how you go about integrating trim bands within your guide wraps. Please be as descriptive as possible. Here is how I do it, but I am wondering if there is a better, smoother, more "crisp" way. I find that I end up with a slight bump where the end of the accent band meets full circle on the blank. I keep the "bumps" on the underside of the rod so they aren't visible when fishing with the rod. Since the picture process limits the viewer to the best possible angle, it is tough to see on the pictures in the library on how the two ends of the accent band look where they mate together.

Here's my process.

Tape down the tag ends of the metallic trim band down at both ends on the blank out from the guide wrap area.
Start winding the black thread.
Keeping the black thread taunt, flip the accent thread back toward the beginning of the wrap and over the taunt line of black thread.
Wrap evenly the accent band around the blank and finish the band on the beginning side (left side for me) of the taunt blank thread.
Pull the accent band under the black thread (and to the right) toward the guide end of the wrap parralell to the blank
Keeping the accent band tight, wrap the black main thread over the accent thread toward the guide foot and up until finished.

The metallic thread doesn't sit "flat" when making the right angle direction change proceeding underneath the main thread before the securing wrap of the main thread is wound. This creats a bit of a bump. It is even more evident if you have multiple bands of thread integrated together in a decorating trim band like I prefer to do.

I had an idea that maybe utilizing an overhand knot when finishing the trim band before the right angle "pivot" might produce a more crisp look?

Since I am unable to tell by the pictures posted, I wondered if there is a better technique or process to follow that would give me the look of a constant ring of accent thread without bumps. Sort of like if you were to stack blanck rings together and throw in one silver ring for effect.

Thanks and I hope that description wasn't too confusing!

Domenic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Bands within the guide wrap question
Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 21, 2005 01:33PM

From your description, I do mine the same as you. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has a slick solution to this.

Erik

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 10:10PM

Same As with one small caviat: When making an inlay I normally go at least ninety degrees additional before I pull the inlay thread under holding the black tight. After three black rotations I pack the black and pull the inlay thread backwards to remove the excess ninety degrees of inlay thread. You can pull the inlay thread tighter after it is locked in place thereby stretching the tag and it will lay a lot flatter. I bet this thread will really get confusing as people try to describe this in writing.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 21, 2005 10:14PM

I do it the same way. Burnishing is the only way to flatten this out for me. I seem to be able to get it to look pretty good, but when "rod builder's eyes" look at it, it's visible. I haven't ever had anyone around here even notice it when I'm done, though-but they don't have the "RBE's".

I have found using the Madeira Super Twist metallic threads as the main wrapping thread completely hides these bumps, though, and the bumps from the tag ends being buried. It's two threads twisted together and really changes the light reflecting back to the eye due to all of the different angles as the threads twist around each other. I've been using these more and more for this reason and also that they're prettier than a one strand thread-again, because they reflect the light differently and give the appearance of many different shades in the same wrap.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 03:40AM

I remember Mark Crouse explaining in his seminar in Charlotte the importance of burnishing all crossover points in wraps until they flatten out. His outstanding results are proof enough for me to do the same.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.16.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 22, 2005 10:10AM

I do it the same way, finishing as Bill does. Only difference is that instead of going full length, I lay my inlay thread down about 3 wraps before I want to start it, do the inlay, wrap over the end 3 turns, then pull tight (see Bill's post) and cut both tags. Then continue the rest of the wrap. If doing a two or more colors, both colors go down the same way. 3 wraps before the first color and I pack and trim all tags 3 wraps after the last one. My tag ends are only under 3 wraps each. A good burnish knocks the little bumps out nicely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster