I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Whats the difference....
Posted by: Steve Gilcoine (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 05:47PM

.... between a casting blank and a spinning blank ? For example Two blanks are the same length, 7',same material,IM6 graphite, nearly identical butt and tip dimensions( butts within 5 thousandths inch of eachother, same tip size) both fast action, both rated for med. power(12 to 20lb), both rated for 1/4 to 1oz lure weight and both are extremly close in blank weight. The casting blank costs $36 and the spinning blank is $70. Thats almost double for what appears to be the same blank. I am interested in making a few spinning rods but it would save a lot of dough if I could use the casting blanks without sacraficing any performance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whats the difference....
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2005 05:51PM

In many cases they are the exact same blank listed in two different categories. The blank has no idea whether you're hanging a spinning or casting reel on it.

In those instances where the cost is so much different, I'd say you're looking two different series of blanks, an SCIII versus something like an SCV or similar.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 06:15PM

Steve, I have built many rods on popping blanks, some for spinning and some for casting and I have used the same blank in both cases. I am in the process of building a spinning rod for myself on a St. Croix casting blank that I bought. I look at the power, action, line and lure weight range more so than the designation of the blank. I like the St. Croix blanks as much as I do the GLoomis blanks and I believe what Tom said. You might have been looking at two different series of rod blanks. The SCII series are cheaper than the SCIII's but do make good rods.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2005 07:39AM

I agree with everything above, except with regard to line ratings. Blank manufacturers tend to use higher line ratings for blanks they are marketing as "casting" blanks, then if they are marketing an identical blank as a "spinning" blank. This is in part because of the reels that will be put on the blanks. A casting reel is more suited for heavier lines, and the ratings are apparently adjusted for this. So I factor this in when shopping for a blank, and, like Ellis, have built both kinds of rods on the same blank.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 20, 2005 08:37AM

Do what you mentioned. Buy a casting blank and build it up as a spinning blank, or vice versa. I don't know that there's any difference at all. One of my favorite rods is labeled as casting rod, but I built it as a spinning rod.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 20, 2005 10:36AM

One of my favorite FLOAT rods, built for my daughter (FisherGirl), is a cascade composite 6 wt 2pc 10'6" FLY rod blank. It has the power to send the terminal tackle and float farther with less effort than any of my designated "float" rods that I have purchased or hand-built and it fights steelies with authority. I would say the only two negatives are that it certainly is better suited for larger fighting fish and it is not my rod ;-( but I sneak it out every now and then when she's not looking!!!

Don't let the manufacturors dictate your imagination (of course, there is a limit to what you can do and with what type of blank...a special note as well, some warranties are void when the blank are used for a purpose other than what they are "designed")

Domenic

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 20, 2005 02:03PM

In many cases, manufacturer's will list the same blank in more than one category (spin, cast) to make it easier to locate a blank for a particular purpose. They're not being deceptive, just helpful. You can use any blank for any purpose! Not sure on warranty issue, but have never noticed anything on manufacturer's sites addressing it although, obviously, using a light Spin Jig blank to build a Tuna rod would probably void the warranty

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster