I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide Concept Questions
Posted by: Doug Rouner (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 11:19AM

I am setting up my new rod and going to use the New Guide Concept. I have read the article in the library which is pretty much the same in Vol 7 issue #1 of RodMaker. I do not have the detailed article in Vol 3 issue #4.

Setting my rod up, I attached the primary reel that I am going to use and marked the intersection point. So far so good. After thinking about this I have a couple of questions.

1. What happens to the rod performance if I change reels? Say go to a larger one?
2. If my interestion point is off 1-2 inches does that matter?
3. Since my this rod is going to used as a saltwater rod, do you think #8 single foot Hardy will work the from the interestion point to the tip? Or should I good smaller. I will probably be using 8-12 pound test on the reel.

Thanks,

Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide Concept Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2005 12:38PM

Unless you move to a substantially larger reel (and I wouldn't think you would do that) it won't make much difference. Some, but not much. The bigger problem if you move to a greatly different size reel will not be so much with the intersect point, but rather with the size and location of the butt guide.

If the intersection point is off an inch or so is of no real importance.

What you want to shoot for is a straight line path between the butt guide and the intersect guide. As mentioned in the article, sight down through the butt guide and frame the rest of the guides from there to the intersect guide. Each one should perfectly frame the preceeding one. None of the rings should appear high or low.

I would use the smallest running guides that I could. What would be the smallest possible in your case can only be determined by test casting with a similar set up to what you plan on eventually using. The difference between 8's and 7's would be nil, but I'd try the 8's and then maybe the 10's if you encounter any problems. Unless you plan on using a shock leader/knot, I suspect the 8's will be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2005 12:39PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 12:43PM

I'll answer just question 3: It's always good to use the smallest guides near the tip that don't cause problems. With 8-12# line you can go as small as size 6 guides, unless you use a shock leader with a bulky connection knot. I built and use a 10.5' surf rod for bluefish with size 7 guides, and it works flawlessly even with 10# line and a 20# leader, joined with a well-tied "no name" knot.

Date: May 19, 2005 03:38PM

I guess the other thing is that I do not want to order a bunch of guides and never use them. So I am trying to norrow this down the guide sizes and chooses before I order them. Easier if you where following a guide placement. I know the Fuji Hardloys are not that expensive.

Doug

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2005 05:49PM

Do you plan to build a few more rods at some point in the future? Buying a full set or a few extra guides really isn't that expensive. Even if you never use them, you could consider it just part of the cost to have the best possible rod casting performance. I doubt we're talking about more than $20. A couple or three fishing trips worth of snacks.

Date: May 19, 2005 09:44PM

I know I sound cheap. Just trying to stay within my promised budget. Off I go to place the order!

Doug

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster