I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod blank suggestions for a kayak
Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: May 18, 2005 07:04PM

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a kayak to fish from and ffigure that casting from it would be easier with something lionger than my usual 9 footers. I am thinking about a 9'6" or even a 10 foot 4 piece 5 weight. I really like the action of the All Star Austin series blanks. Does anyone have any blank suggestions that will suit my requirements and have an action similar to the All Star Austins? Any and all suggestions and comments greatly appreciated..

cheers,

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod blank suggestions for a kayak
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2005 09:21PM

I use 8 and 8'6" fly rods from my kayak. I actually went shorter and find it easier and less tiring. You won't be able to generate quite as much power from a sitting position as you would from a standing position. So if you're going to actually fish while seated in the kayak, keep that in mind.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:14PM

Jeff--the FT1004-4 might be just what you're after, but I personally lean toward Tom's perspective on this one--shorter sticks = less swing weight, which seems to be more of a factor for kayakers, float tubers, etc. than wading fishermen. If you want light, go with the Dan Craft Signature V 9' 5wt (3pc). The FT in 10' lengths is incredibly impressive, and actually not far off the 4pc Austins for feel. I really like them.

Let me know if we can help you out with any of the above!

All the best,

Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 12:15AM

Jeff:
Hello.I had a 10' 5 wt. and a 9'6" 6 wt. for fishing from a tube and a canoe and hated them both. These rods were heavy and slow, very tiring and really work against me when fighting a fish. I now fish rods from 7'9" to 9' from for tube and canoe fishing and find these lenghts much more plesant to fish with. Personally, I prefer an 8'6" 5 wt. for most of my still water fishing. My two favorite tube and canoe rods are a 9' Loomis GLX Man Line speed and a St. Croix 8'6" Legend Ultra both in a 5 wt. You should be able to cast just as far or farther with an 8'6" - 9' rod compared with a 9'6" - 10' rod.

Lanny

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 19, 2005 11:03AM

A case could be made for a 6 foot rod, too. In a tube, you have a tendency to keep your arm raised more than you would standing. I would go with a multi-piece Dan Craft, drop the butt. Probably a 2 weight, casting a 4 or 5 weight line with it.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 10:21PM

Jeff,
The proper rod length for kayak fishing should effectively meet certain conditions as well as your personal preferences. What is the length of your yak? Will therod clear the bow even while it is flexed into the midsection? An 8 footer will do that in a 12 foot kayak but may not in a 16 footer. You did not say what you are fishing for. The power of a large strong fish like a Striped Bass will wear yo down more if he is applying force to you with the leverage of a 10 foot rod as poppesed to a 9 foot rod. If you are fishing for Brook Trout in small water your prey obvilusly permits you greater leeway. The prevailing wisdom among the many Kayakers whose input I read on an excellent web site dedicated to the sport of kayak fishing supports the use of 9 foot fly rods for the larger fish. I encourage you to be as specific as possible about both your kayak and your type of fishing. These details will help even the most knowledgable kayak fisherman to provide the best solution to your questions.

I highly recommend the following site for all topics relating to the great sport of kayak fishing. Among the many their list of Forums is one dedicated to Fly Fishing from kayaks.

Tight lines,
Dave

www.kfs.com
or
www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster