I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing Single Foot Ceramic Guides?
Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (134.192.173.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:26AM

Having gotten a handle on building fly rods with snake and single-foot wire guides, I now want to attempt to build one using single foot ceramics. How does one translate snake guide sizes to single-foot ceramic guide sizes? Also, does one use multiple sizes, or will a single size work up to the stripper guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing Single Foot Ceramic Guides?
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 01:29PM

Mark,

The single foot ceramics are sized by the inside diameter of the frame (not the ring, no idea why) in milimeters. Antique wire guides, and reproductions thereof, are sized by some archaic system designed before we could actually accurately measure anything :). (No idea what it's based but since I don't build antique replicas, I don't worry about it.)

On rods up to 6 wt., I find that the #6 single foot ceramics will pass all the connections I need to pass. On really light rods, 2 and 3 wts. the SIC ceramic guides are available in #5 or 5.5s. Pricey, but wonderfully light,slick, and eficient. #7s from 7 wt. up to 9 wt. have worked fine for me. 8s for big game rods. Go directly from your line taming set to the running guides. No need to 'taper' guide sizes. I do use single foots for all the guides, stripper and tamers included.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 01:31PM

I don't know enough about the sizing of snakes to make a good comparison. But, I do know about ceramic single-foot guides. On any fly rod up to a 5 or 6 weight, all the running guides would likely be sz. 6 single foot ceramics. (The 6 stands for 6mm ring opening.) The stripper(s) would likely be 10s and 12s. On rods heavier than that, your running guides might be 7s, but this is mostly necessary if you need to pass knots of any size. The stripper(s) would likely be 12s and 16s. Regarding the transition from strippers to running guides, you can use multiple sizes to step down, but it's hardly ever necessary. Usually, you can go from your sz. 10 stripper to a sz. 8, then on to your 6s. You might even be able to be more agressive and go right from 10s to 6s.

Personally, I always try to use the smallest guides I can get away with. For example, on 3 and 4 wts., I commonly use two 8s as my strippers (4" apart), then go right to 6s the rest of the way out. I've test cast with both this set-up, and one with multiple sizes starting with a 10 or 12, and I don't really see any casting difference between the two. And since the 8s weigh less than the 10s or 12s, I use the 8s.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 03:07PM

Personally, I like the aesthetics of descending guide sizes, 12-10-8-6-5s. When I do static testing, it sometime behooves one to repeat a guide size, like two 6s, before jumping to the 5s. Because the blank tapers, I don't jump down to the smallest immediately.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 04:33PM

Mark: Buddy's given you a pretty thorough and descriptive answer...just to give you some comparisons, though, I'd say a size 6 sf ceramic would be similar to a 2/0, a size 7 similar to a 1/0 IN TERMS OF OPENING SIZE. They aren't actually "similar" in the strictest sense as the sf ceramics hold the line off the rod, while a 1/0 or 2/0 sf wire guide keeps the line very, very close to the blank. My argument is strongly biased toward holding the line off the blank, so much so that on the few blanks I build NOT using ceramics, I only use Hopkins & Holloway "standoff" single foot guides (which are sized like regular snakes, btw).

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 07:28PM

Hi,

These are actual measurements I took a while back from our single foot wire guides and snake guides. I came up with the following OD's:
Single foot OD's:
2/0 = 5.5
1/0 = 6.0
1 = 6.5
2 = 7.0
3 = 8.0
4 = 8.5
5 = 9.0
6 = 10.0

I hope that is what you're looking for. I get different measurements from the snake guides were we measure inside ID's not the OD's like above.

Snakes ID's

2/0 = 4.5
1/0 = 4.8
1 = 5.1
2 = 5.7
3 = 6.3
4 = 7.0
5 = 7.7
6 = 8.5

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 12:06AM

I have asked this question of a vendor. His reply was that you cannot compare wire snake guide sizes to ceramic sizes. However he would relate them as:

Snake - Ceramic

I don't have any to compare with, but I will have Monday.

JIm Williams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2005 08:09PM by Jim Williams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster