I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tacky varnish
Posted by: Bernard Demarteau (---.240.81.adsl.skynet.be)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:44AM

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up my fourth rod, and for the first time i'm experiencing troubles with the coating.
I'm using a 2 components varnish.
The 2 first coats reacted as usual, drying up overnight.
Then the third one looked like it didn't want to harden, and remained tacky after the first night. I decided to let it dry for a few more days. Yet it remained the same.
So I decided to put another coat, with a little bit more of hardener in the mix. No result with this 4th coating, it's still sticky.
Then I tried another varnish, a one component varnish a friend of mine uses for rodbuilding. This 5th coatind is still trying to dry up and I laid the varnish 2 days ago.

Do someone figure out what suddenly happened, and how to correct it.

Thanks,

bernard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tacky varnish
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.ca.dial-access.a)
Date: May 17, 2005 12:11PM

sounds a lot like a mixing issue. are you trying to mix too small a quantity? i use flexcoat and i always mix a minimum of 3cc of each of parts A and B. i use the suringes in the kit. if you mix it in smaller quantities one drop has a disproportionate influence than if you mix a larger amount.
so far i have never had a failure using this formula. when mixing i mix until the fluid is water clear. you will notice when you first start to mix it there
are streaks in the mix. once completely mixed it will go perfectly clear. this is my indication that it is done. i then pore it onto a flat piece of foil.
if you take it right out of the cup there is a chance you will pick up some unmixed material from the side of the cup that will NEVER dry. by poreing onto foil you will never get this unmixed material onto your applicator.

Posted by: Bernard Demarteau (---.90-201-80.adsl.skynet.be)
Date: May 17, 2005 12:35PM

Thanks Larry,

Usually I try to use the right amount of varnish, which could be to few to corectly get mixed, you're right it's a possibility.

But the question is: What next ? Do you think that the next good coating will be enough to harden the whole thing, or do I have to do something special to avoid the tacky coating to 'corrupt" the following one ?

Bernard

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 03:59PM

If you are talking about epoxy coating, mix the correct 1:1 proportion and apply over the tacky coat. This should set up. You made a mistake in the second attempt by adding extra hardener. That upset the 1:1 proportion. A properly proportioned mixture will correct the tacky one.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 04:39PM

And never mix less than 3cc of each component. Epoxy is cheap compared to the blank, guides, reel seat, etc and it just isn't worth it to try to save a tiny bit of money by only mixing a "little" epoxy.

Posted by: Bernard demarteau (---.23-136-217.adsl.skynet.be)
Date: May 18, 2005 01:16PM

Thanks to you all guys,

I've tried to do as you adviced. We'll see if you pointed to right mistake.

Thanks again,

Bernard

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2005 05:10PM

Always mix 50/50. Adding extra hardener is sure to keep the mix sticky - extra hardener will not cause it to cure harder or faster. It may not cure at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster