I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Trade Group
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:35AM

A rod building trade group will finally launch in late June of this year. Originally it will focus on business related issues for and between rod building supply dealers. As it grows, we hope it will expand into general promotional efforts on behalf of the craft of custom rod building. More information will be forthcoming in the volume 8 #4 issue of RodMaker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Trade Group
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:40AM

bout time!!! This will be a great step forward as long as it does not become political and remains independent

Mike

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:48AM

Sounds like a good idea.
I look foreward to interacting cooperatively with fellow rod building suppliers.
Sincerly,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: May 17, 2005 10:53AM

I should probably clarify that this will not be open to custom rod builders. It is not a rod building "club." Membership will be limited to rod building supply dealers and manufacturers only. Very much like the ASA and AFFTA groups. The goal will be for co-operation between suppliers through a customer credit reporting database and eventually may focus on collective advertising and promotional efforts on behalf of the craft of custom rod building. That's pretty much it, but this does cover two sorely needed aspects for the custom rod building industry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2005 11:02AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 12:09PM

Tom,
As in one of our conversations I said that I would sign up as it is needed for us suppliers to be able to help out each other. I look forward in my continued support with you.
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 02:08PM

Tom--very, very cool--and very needed. We're certainly "in"! :)

Thanks once again for your commitment to the craft which is expressed so tangibly in ventures like this.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 05:08PM

Not to poke at a sensitive area here, but isn't a trade group like this also building the foundations for across-the-board fixed pricing, much like what we see already today in the factory-made fly rod arena?

I realize that it's a double-edged sword in that a lot of small fly shops couldn't exist without the generous markup that they get from a $700 retail rod, but I'd also like to be able to just buy the rod if I didn't need a guy to tell me all about its wonderful features (folds into 100 pieces for convenient travel, etc.) .

From a consumer's point of view, having to poke around for the best price on "Component A" and "Blank B" can be annoying, and I have found that the dealers who offer the best combination of price and service are the ones I go back to. So from this side of the fence, I don't see anything that we consumers can gain from it.

Quite possibly I'm not seeing the whole picture here. If anyone would be kind enough to explain, I'd be interested in hearing other takes on how it can benefit everyone involved.

Date: May 17, 2005 08:03PM

Price fixing and fair trade pricing are not at all the same. Fair trade pricing is what has made the fly fishing industry strong. Even the consumer has been a winner in the long run due to better selection, more dealers and better products. The general fishing tackle market, by comparison, has been in the tank for over a decade.

But to answer your question more specifically, this association will not be involved in anyone's pricing or business practices. It will serve mainly to allow suppliers to communicate with each other via a credit reporting database and to ultimately promote and advertise custom rods and custom rod building as part of a collective effort.

Fair trade pricing and territory protection are not part of the goals for the forseeable future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster