I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank choice?
Posted by: Rob Leef (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2005 10:16PM

I need some advice from some veteran builders. I want to build a 6'6" spinning rod. I want to use 6-12 lb test. I'm thinking about using the netcraft IM6 blank. I'm worried that it won't have enough power to fight largemouth bass because the butt diameter is only .290, and the tip is a 4.0. Do you guys think this blank will work, or does anybody else have any blank suggestions. I'm trying to keep my cost down. Thanks in advance-Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank choice?
Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: May 16, 2005 10:25PM

The St. Croix SCII 2S66MF2 is a very sturdy blank with plenty of backbone. For my tastes it was too stiff for bass, but many anglers like this feel.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 16, 2005 10:56PM

well depending on what you want to spend i wouldent go with a sc2 st.croix cause it only carries a 2 year warranty i recomend 6''6 gl3 loomis retails for $94 i think........ med.power fast action 6-12lb very stealthy rod these are what i use on the boat your blank selection can go on forever so keep in mind lifetime warranty to protect your investment st.croix sc3 or better will do you just fine also or even your pac-bay blanks will do another thing to keep in mind rob if you can transport the rod i would go with a 1 piece also keeps the price down as 2piece are usually higher priced..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 12:03AM

Rob,
I think the medium power fast action blank below the one you mentioned would be better. Another choice that is closer to you is the IM6 Lamiglas blanks that Neal's Fishing Products for the same price. He could set you up with a nice inexpensive kit for that blank. I agree with you, the blank you mentioned is too light and moderate actioned for largemouth bass.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:44AM

I'de recommend the St. Croix 2S66MF. The one piece blank preference for bass fishing has fast action for excellent casting performance and sensitivity along with good backbone for fish fighting largmouth. If you want an excellent 2 pc. domestic blank, I would go with the 2S66MF2.
For an import blank that would suit as a very good choice for custom rod building and want a good 2 pc. inexpensive blank I would go with the American Tackle Matrix AMSP784-2. For the one piece in spin jig blank go with the AMSJ782.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

info@rodreel.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.93.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 08:16AM

Just to add, the Rainshadow /Forecast blanks are another to look at. Nice prices

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:45AM

It depends entirely on what you want to do with this blank. The 3S66MF is a good all-around choice--it'll do a lot of things quite well. If you're thinking of using 8 or 10 lb. test, and very light lures, maybe some drop-shotting, then think about the 3C69MLXF built as a spinning rod. I use the 3C69MLXF for 1/8 oz. TX rigged 4" worms, baby brush hogs, etc. It performs incredibly well for this, as well as for drop-shotting, which is what it's designed for.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 11:38PM

What your looking for is a pretty basic spinning rod blank. I'd lean toward A Rainshadow or if you dont want to spend a ton of money a Forecast. Both from the Batsons. The specs seem to be off I would think on the blank you have described. Thats a pretty small blank to have a 6-12# rating. but I may be wrong

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster