I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

filling tunnels
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 16, 2005 02:19PM

I was just searching through the archives for some info on Classic Rod Coat epoxy finish. I have finished some sample wraps with the Classic, and like it very much - better than FC I think (in my very limited experience). Anyways, I noticed a couple people talking about filling the guide tunnels with epoxy - as if it's a totally separate operation from applying finish to the guide wrap. I have always just placed the epoxy on the top of the guide wrap, assuming it saturates the thread and fills the tunnel - is this wrong??? I had not heard of that before, and was wondering if someone could share a technique with me for filling the tunnels - also, what is a good method to ensure that you get the front edge of a spinning/fly guide adequately sealed without ending up with excess epoxy all over the place?

Thanks!!

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: filling tunnels
Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 16, 2005 02:41PM

Rich:

Likely, in the process of just putting epoxy on the wraps, you have filled the tunnels. However, it does have a little to do the thickness of the epoxy at the time, and how tightly packed the threads are, etc. The easiest thing to do is take a toothpick, bodkin, needle, put a drop of epoxy on it, and dab it at the end of the tunnel. The epoxy will wick down into the tunnel.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 16, 2005 03:40PM

I use only single foot guides, so before I put finish on the wraps I use an extra bodkin from my fly tying bench, hold the rod upright so the tunnel openings are facing up and put a couple of drops of finish on each tunnel. Since I only use single foot guides, I use a locking wrap on every one so I do put a fair amount of finish on each tunnel to make sure it's well sealed. Holding the rod upright keeps the finsh from leaking out onto the blank and I can actually see that it's wicking down along the guide feet, a little. After I do all the tunnels I put it in my dryer and apply the finish to the wraps.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 16, 2005 04:10PM

You should also use a blocking wrap (5 turns or so) ahead of the foot. This basically blocks the tunnel and allows you to add a drop of epoxy as Gerry describes before completing the wrap. Because there is thread ahead of the foot, the finish is much neater.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:26AM

I fill the tunnels differently than those who have replied so far. If you put finish in the opening of the tunnel the only way the air can escape is to go though the thread. But if you have finish on the thread it can't do that. What I do is to put a couple of drops of finish at the very tip of the guide foot. I do this for each guide. Then I go back to the first guide and put a few drops on each side of the first drop. Repeat this for the other guides. Continue adding drops on the edge of where the thread is saturated with finish. Usually you will see finish coming out the end of the tunnel before you're putting finish anywhere near it. At that point apply finish to the rest of the wrap. This method fills the entire tunnel with finish, guarenteeing that there is no air in the tunnel.

Dave

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:34AM

Thanks for all the help guys! - I have a musky rod repair that I will probably be finished wrapping tonight, might be able to get the finish on - now I have several methods of tunnel filling to muse over...

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:07AM

Dave wins the prize! That's how I do it. I start by putting a dab on the end of each foot then I go back and apply more to the sides of the feet. After a few minutes you'll see the epoxy coming out from the tunnel. Like Dave said, if you plug the tunnel first the air can't get out. I've done that before and gotten ugly bubbles at the point of the tunnel where air tried to push out and got caught by the epoxy. Sometimes the bubble pops at a time when the epoxy is thick and you get a pit at that spot. I like letting the epoxy soak in from the foot up. Works great.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster