I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pac-bays cobalt blue fly guides
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 05:09PM

hey guys i was just wondering if any one has used pac-bays new cobalt blue fly guides and what do you think of them would they loose there color easy i got big idears running through the rod brain any replies would be gratefull thanks R.crabtree

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pac-bays cobalt blue fly guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 06:20PM

Robert:

The blue color is a coating of Titanium Oxide that has been deposited on the ceramic guide ring at very low pressure and high temperature. This coating process is called Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) and was first developed to coat portions of silicon chips during their lengthy manufacturing processes. This deposition method has now been applied to fishing components. Pac Bay, Rainshadow, and Amtak are all manufacturers using this PVD process to coat both their ring material as well as the stainless steel portion of their guides. The PVD coatings are very hard, and add both hardness and slickness to the surface of the ceramic rings.

Yes, I would use these guides on my own rods. in fact, I have done so already. Try them. You will be delighted at their beauty and what they add to a rod.

I just wish that they could come up with a deep green PVD coating.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:22PM

thanks for the info doug im making a smallmouth rod thinkin 7wt or maybe 6 havent decided now if st.croix would make a fly rod with the cobalt blue pearlesence finish id be in business

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:49PM

Graphite USA makes them in cobolt blue. CTS has them in 3 different blues, one of them a pearlescent.

Posted by: Rich Pedro (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2005 01:49AM

Hehehehe that's awesome... I work in the semi-conductor industry and the module I work in is PVD. We have a few different types of PVD process. I will admit I'm still in awe of it all...

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2005 08:42PM

I've used AMTackle's on 4 rods so far. The blue's and a hologram (wifes rod! LOL) and each have performed very well. I built a crankbait rod on which I throw only spectra and it's holding up so far...that blue is a really nice addition especially when done with black as a main wrap and trimmed in tiny blue metallic....makes a BEAUTIFUL rod!

Doug,

I have seen a green available, I believe it was on Mudhole's web site?

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster