I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trolling rod grip, cork tape or EVA foam for stiff high speed trolling
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 03:00PM

I am building a short, very stiff trolling rod for high speed trolling very large crank baits for musky fishing. These set ups use braided line.
Has anybody ever used cork tape for the butt grip for heavy trolling rods? I am concerned that the high trolling speed and heavy lure weight will really put strain on the EVA grip.

Is this something I should be concerned about or am I micro-analyzing?

Thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trolling rod grip, cork tape or EVA foam for stiff high speed trolling
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: May 13, 2005 04:07PM

Cork tape will work, but has to be replaced from time to time. A heavy trolling rod can be hard on an EVA rear grip. I prefer to use a slick-butt sleeve mounted over brick foam(graphite) arbors. Light and almost indestructable.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: May 13, 2005 04:13PM

The problem you are going to run into with the eva butt grip is after a while it will aquire a "dent" where it rests on the lip of the rod holder and when you get a fish on it is hard to pull it out of the rod holder due to friction. This is why hard butts are on your better trolling rods. Now if the rod is going to be "hand held" all the time then you won't have any problems with the eva. Jesse

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 04:25PM

Thanks for the input guys. The rods will not be hand held but in the rod holder. I will go with the slick butt. for the butt grip.
Buzz

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 04:55PM

Shrink tube works great for this as well. Sometimes I build it up a little with a layer or two of cork tape first, depending on the size of the blank and the reel seat used. Works great and is easy and durable.

My cure..
Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.ia4.marketscore.com)
Date: May 13, 2005 09:45PM

[www.fishingphotos.net]

I use multi piece (300+) EVA grips on Great Lakes trolling rods...& put a piece of hardwood ( ash ,in this case)where the grip rubs the lip of the rodholder ( 12" for Canon downrigger holders). Adds a touch of class,too.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2005 04:49PM

Use a slick butt for ease in sliding the rod in or out of the rod holder. If you have to use foam I'd use hypalon - it doesn't dent as easily as eva, but the ease of movement in / out of rod holder is not as easy as with a hard butt.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster