I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

twisted rods?
Posted by: William Horey (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 02:39PM

I have some graphite rods both spinning and casting that seem to have taken on a twist over the seasons. I know I put the guides on straight when I built them because I spend a lot of time doing that. But now when I sight down them the guides are not exactly in line. They sort of spiral or turn as you go up the rod to the tip. The rods aren't bent or warped but more like they twisted a little over the years. The tip top is no longer aligned with the reel seat or butt guide. I'd say these are now off less than 10 degrees but more than 5 degrees. I just wonder if the internal structure of rod blanks tends to shift or change over the years with use or temperature change.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: twisted rods?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2005 04:14PM

Fiberglass rods were bad to take a "set" if you left them leaning in a corner. Graphite isn't prone to the same thing but I understand that you're talking about a twist around the center axis, not a set or warp. At least I'll assume that.

I really don't know why it happens, but after looking at a few of my own rods I would say that at least some seem to have twisted by a few degrees over the years. The further out towards the tip you go, the greater the amount of twist is. I can think of several reasons that this might happen, nearly all having to do with the internal stresses that might be present due to the way most rod blanks are manufactured. But I'd have to give it more though - I'm just not really sure. But yes, it does appear to happen at least to some degree in some rods.

Mine Too!
Posted by: John T. White (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 07:48PM

I'll be darned! I just went and checked some of mine and yes some do seem to have twisted as you move up towards the tip. I can't believe that I would have put the guides on in corkscrew fashion!!! But that's what some of them look like now. Not very bad, but more than enough to notice.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 10:37AM

I know my back is doing that, too...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: May 11, 2005 02:53PM

Its the evolution of the "spiral wrap". Darwin was right.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Yew Soong Ding (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: May 22, 2005 09:59PM

I think this is more pronounced with baitcasters than with spinning rods.

This is probably due to the twist the rod suffers when cranking a baitcaster which is placed on top of the rod. Baitcaster rods then to suffer a torgue, twist, when the reel is cranked due to the cranking action. Spinning reels handing below the rod does not seem to have this problem. Hence the twist in rods after sustained usage.

My 0.2 cents worth. I stand corrected to avoid arguments on this.

Ding

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster