I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide/ Ferrule spacing
Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 01:22PM

I am building only my second flyrod, a Sage XP-590-4. The second section has no guide on or near the ferrule. The third section has a guide perfectly situated on the female side of the ferrule. The fourth section is the problem. The tip of the guide foot is about 1/2" away from the edge of the ferrule. What to do?! I think my options are:

1. Move the guide.

2. Lengthen the wrap on the ferrule side only, adding a trim band or verigation to make it decorative.

3. Have a gin and tonic and call in sick to work.

4. ???

Knowing most of you will pick #3 in addition to what you would do, I await your kind responses,

JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide/ Ferrule spacing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2005 04:55PM

Guides don't have to be on the ferrule. Doesn't hurt if they, but unless you're using way too few guides on that rod then it won't matter if you have ferrules that aren't sporting guides.

If you have one that is that close to the female ferrule edge (assuming it's on the female side and not down on the male end) I would probably either shift it back a hair or just make a longer reinforcement wrap and tie them in together.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.0050221.lodgenet.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 11:01PM

I would move the guide into position and then static test. That being said, I like the wrap on the ferrule guide to be a bit longer than it would otherwise be, it blends better into the blank.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.0050221.lodgenet.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 11:01PM

I would move the guide into position and then static test. That being said, I like the wrap on the ferrule guide to be a bit longer than it would otherwise be, it blends better into the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster