I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exposed blank spinning seats
Posted by: dennis lamberg (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 10:06AM

Does anyone know where I might purchase some exposed blank (with cutout in some catalogs) spinning seats in 16 or 17mm. Have looked extensively and can only find them in trigger seats. They must be out there as I have two 'store bought' rods with these seats.

Thanks all for the previous help on rod dryer speeds:

Den

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed blank spinning seats
Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: May 10, 2005 02:35PM

Fuji makes skeleton spinning seats in those sizes. They're listed as SKM16 or SKM17 with a letter code for the color. They're just the hoods and a nut, but no insert. I don't really know of anything with a "cut-out."

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 03:47PM

Dennis,
I've used both the Fuji and Pac Bay skeleton seats with the cork inserts to achieve this. Ream the cork insert to desired I.D. and test fit, remove the cork and place reamer back in cork firmly and tape over both recessed ends. With fine half round file begin removing the top outer cork slowly where you want your palm to come in contact with blank, (in my case it has always been the entire area between the hoods). As soon as the file comes into contact with the reamer remove and slowly file and sand with fine grit paper, the half moon palm shape you are after. Test fit frequently to ensure your not removing too much material.
I have done many of these on Steelhead drift and float rods as well as trout rods with return customers that want nothing but now.

Good Luck, Joe

Post Removed
Posted by: zach (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 01:59AM

Post Removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2005 08:42AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 11, 2005 03:56AM

I don't see how this would make the seat more comfortable. Are you sacrificing comfort for sensitivity?

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 12:42PM

I agree it for one will be uncomfortable and two you wont really gain any extra sensitivity. My advise for a very sensitive but more comfortable reel seat. Use the Pac Bay or fuji skeleton seet and make a insert whatever shape feels the best to you out of a DENSE material!! I.E. wood,plastic,resin,. I have tried a exposed seat only to find that I hated it and ruined a $5.00 seat and about $20.00 wood and about 6 hours of my life. I have also found that a convex shaped insert is alot more comfortable to fish with than a concaved insert. just remember to make the bottom of the insert fit the reel as well.

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: May 11, 2005 07:47PM

Gentlemen,

We are talking about detecting the slightest of strikes, shaving weight and "comfort" are we not ? The application of this type of seat I should have stated, is used only on a centered or reverse handle configuration. (Meaning equal amounts of cork fore and aft the seat or reverse "Skamania style".) When fishing the center, or especially reverse handle, the hand is always holding on the tip side of the seat similar to a fly rod. When handling/balancing the rod in this way it puts the outside lower edge of the palm in a top front center position on the seat, (barrel/ hood is now in the middle of the palm cradle void, not unlike the convex seat ). Right or left hand retrieve is not an issue as the seat can be shaved a bit on either side after it has been installed to accomodate either.
This seat keeps the hand lower to the rod and "incorporated" as opposed to cradling the reel foot between the fingers and having to suffer the upside down coat hanger effect all day!

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster