I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line for forecast 4 pc 2 wt
Posted by: John Steger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 07:49PM

To those of you who have built this rod ( mine arrives tommorrow ) i was wondering what line you would reccomend. I will probably go up to a 3 wt unless someone has a 2 wt they think goes good with it. I was thinking about the Rio selective trout.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line for forecast 4 pc 2 wt
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 09:31PM

I have a Dan Craft Sig III 8ft 2 wt and that I built about a year ago and fished a lot last summer. I use a RIOClassic DT2F and it works really well. IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the RIO lines.

Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (---.tyrd.cox-internet.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 09:41PM

You might try the Rio pocketwater on discount at Sierra Trading. I would get the 3.

Posted by: John Steger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 10:36PM

It seems to me that the pocketwater has been replaced by the Selective trout line. This is one of the things I like to buy through my local fly shop, and he handles the Rio line. Maybe he has a pocketwater laying around.If not, I was thinking the 3 wt selective trout.
How does the pocketwater roll cast? Some of the small streams by me are a little tight.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.132.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:25PM

rio's pocketwater and selective trout should cast very differently from each other so i'm not sure one can say the second replaced the first accurately. i have both, the PW in a 3 and the selective trout in a 4. LOVE the olive green of the selective trout.

the PW is a very thin line, much thinner than the ST.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.tyrd.cox-internet.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:48PM

I don't roll cast that much, but the PW loads very quickly (fishes tight) and shoots like crazy . While I agree that supporting the local shop is a must, the PWs are 50% off at Sierra.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 01:30AM

See if you can get ahold of an Airflo Delta WF2/3F. They're a great line for rollcasting and when you can't put your finger on the 'right' line for a rod.

A Wulff TT WF3F might also be worth checking out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 08:40AM

When built, try several lines on it. If you have friends or can borrow several lines. Best way to see how it acts and feels.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 10:00AM

According to the CCS data, this blank has an ERN of 2.67. If I were building it and had to buy a line cold without being able to try it, I would get a 2 weight. These are pretty soft blanks anyway and a 3 weight would probably slow it down even more. You might also go to the local fly shop and see if they have lines you can test cast, most of them have a pretty wide variety of weights so customers can do their parking lot fishing.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 11:51AM

Hi John,

I built the 2 piece version several weeks ago and have a 4 piece from hook and hackle that should arrive soon. I have used a Rio Classic WF3 and an Orvis Wonderline DT3 on this rod. Both cast very well with this rod and for typical casting ranges the WF actually roll casts better. Overall the Wonderline is the worst line I've ever used. So much memory and it's already starting to crack after less than a dozen days on the water.

I would actually recomend against the pocket water. It has a very small diameter compared to other lines of it's weight and doesn't roll cast as well as larger lines. Not to mention that this is NOT a delicate blank. It's very fun, but it's a hefty stick. I would recomend the Rio Classic in a WF3, it's a hard line to beat and once you fish this rod with a 3 weight line you won't want to try a 2.

Mark

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.254.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 12:01PM

continuing about the pocketwater.. (should be its own thread somewhere else, eh? ;-) it IS thin. nice though, casts beautifully, but then again, i have limited experience (sci anglers GPX5, cabelas prestige plus, sa aircell from the 70s).

i had the line actually tear on me twice. the first time, about 6 inches fmr the tip. i simply cut it off and started anew. the second time, about 1-2 months later, it tore again about 2 feet from the tip. i figured the taper was getting close ot being lost, so i bagged the line and moved on to the selective trout which i love. i'm not rough on lines, rarely if ever step on them. it might have been the granite causing abrasion which led to the tearing, but it hasn;t happended with any other line since i started 3 years ago.

i'm giving it another chance, taking advantage of a 3 weight at stp a few months ago, have yet to fish it on my 7-9 3 weight rod.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster