I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How long before I can use it?
Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 02:14PM

I finished a surf rod last week with LS Supreme. Everything got 2 coats and it looked pretty good. Yesterday, after 5 days of curing, I had it outside, and in the bright sunshine, I saw a couple of small defects in the finish on one guide wrap and the butt wrap. I roughed it up with a grey pad, and applied another coat of LS Supreme to the areas in question. Is it still necessary to wait 5 days again, or will I be okay in 3 days or so, when the epoxy is reasonably hard. I figured that the epoxy which is integral to the structure of the wraps is full strength, and the coat I applied today is cosmetic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long before I can use it?
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 02:36PM

I would suspect that with LS you are good to go in about 24 hours. From my experience, it gels in 2-3 hours, sets up in 6-8 hours, and with good curing conditions I can wrap over it in 10-12 hours. I'd say fish it with confidence.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 05:43PM

Good practice is after every coat, take it out side and look. I feel it is the only true light that will show up every thing. Lesson learned Unless it is raining ?? LOL

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 06:39PM

Thanks. At least I caught it in time so that it won't put off my intended first outing!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 06:50PM

Rich :

When dealing with these finishes, such as LS Supreme, you can plan on about 92-93 percent of hardness in 24 hours, and another three days to get to 99%. I generally accelerate the process by taking the rods and putting them into my Jeep that is parked in the sunlight. I support the curing rod sections with a card board box, and cut vee notches out of the sides to keep the sections under control. After a day in the sun, the sections become quite cured. Yes, this is a temporary oven, and I do crack one of the windows. I do not have a drying box to keep the curing finish at higher than room temperature in a more controlled environment.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster