I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement: what tips and tricks do you use?
Posted by: John Caine (151.209.112.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:34PM

Hi to all, and thanks for making this site such a wonderful resource. I have been a lurker for about a year, and in that time have built about a dozen fly rods--leaning heavily on what I learn here!

What tips and tricks do you have for guide placement? I usually eyeball the curve under a static load, and that seems to work OK. My only concern is: I don't know what I don't know!

For example, I recently read a thread here about putting a guide over the ferrule whenever possible--I never would have thought of that. That got me wondering... what else am I missing?

If nothing comes to mind, any great books out there that aspiring novices should read? Any must-know tips for going from making good rods to making great rods?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement: what tips and tricks do you use?
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:49PM

At the risk of opening myself to criticism and public shaming, I will reveal my secret. I have tried numerous placement methods including static distribution. After 100 or so 3-7wt. freshwater fly rods, I have settled on the following method and am 100% satisfied with it:

Step 1) Use St. Croix recommended guide spacing (not sizing though; I like smaller guides)
Step 2) Go fishing

Date: May 09, 2005 02:50PM

I've gotten a couple e-mails so let me explain how I arrived at my preferred method. I used to do static distribution like you see in the article Tom wrote above in the library. Of course it works great. But, you have to start somewhere when you do this, so it was always my habit to start with the St. Croix spacing, then put the rod under load and then look for places where it looked like things needed to be moved. What I kept discovering over and over again was that the guides were fine where they were, with the very rare case where I might nudge a guide 1/8" or so up or down. Finally, I just decided that was a lot of time an effort to accomplish nothing so I just started going straight to the St. Croix spacing and wrapping it up.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.tyrd.cox-internet.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 03:53PM

Must do's: Guide on every ferrule, single foot guides, single foot strippers. Plastic winding checks (you never know when your want to replace a grip). Klass Kote epoxy paint. Mini-wax tint on cork.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 04:01PM

Steve, that 1/8in. or so is the difference between, "It's close enough, -blank- it." and doing the best you can. I know you do good work, no offence is intended. John, if it works out that the guide is on a ferrule/joint, all well and good, if not it's where it needs to be. Search the posts on putting guides on joints and read the rest of the comments. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: John Caine (151.209.112.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 04:06PM

Don, can you tell me more about the single-foot guide sizes? Any tips on what size stripper guide(s) to use? I've always used stainless or TiCH single-foot snakes--do you ever use ceramic guides? I built one spinning rod, and tried the new concept system--is there a similar theory for fly rods? How about rod speed--does that affect your placement? (For example, would a fast rod--with a greater curve at the tip--generally need tighter spacing at the tip than a slower rod? Or am I stretching things?)

And Steve, you mentioned that you prefer smaller guides than what comes stock on St. Croix rods. Can you tell me more about the guide sizes you use, and how you pick the size? (I usually just get the "guide set" from Bob at Hook & Hackle--and this has worked great so far... But what if Bob didn't offer his sets, what would I do?)

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but this is really interesting stuff, and my wife refuses to chat about rods anymore. I'm also interested in putting together a Web site to help other beginners--but clearly I'm still a beginner, myself, and so would love to hear from the experts first.

John

Date: May 09, 2005 04:28PM

Ralph, no offense taken. I don't consider or describe myself as a perfectionist and that system works well for me. Tell you the truth, I don't think I give anything up in rod performance or durability so I don't lose sleep over it.

John, I use #6 ceramic or #1 single foot wire near the tip of a fly rod designed to cast lines up to 7wt. or so. It just seems like there is no casting benefit with larger guides and it definitely deadens the responsiveness of the tip and makes the rod less crisp. St. Croix uses much bigger guides than necessary in my opinion. Not to single them out, though - most factory rods have guides that are too big I think. Sage uses nice small guides but they are all wire and I like ceramic on most rods. Smoother and quieter and no wear to guide or line.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 06:38PM

Its exciting when one experiences an insight that changes the way you build a rod. In this example realizing that the use of St Croix's recommended spacing for their blanks is good enough.

I came to a similar conclusion when laying out spacings for open cheveron or diamond wraps - there are only three spacings that work for me. Spacings for thin, medium, and large diameter blanks. I layed out the marks for all three on on an aluminum straight edge. It works great and I don't have to measure anything - saves me a load of time and effort

With a med dia blank if I want a compressed spacing I use the marks for a small dia blank, elongated I use the large dia marks. If I want 90* I use the med dia marks. The lathe has indexed locks, so I simple lock the lathe at all four cardinal marks - 0, 90, 180, 270 - and lay the straight edge on the blank - centered - and transfer the marks. In less than 5 min I have the blank all marked up and ready for thread.

Lou

Posted by: david chapman (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 09:16PM

I started out using St. Croix specs for my guide spacing, but when I discovered static guide placement and tried it, I realized that in order to decrease then angle of line from guide to guide, the guide spacing may not increase incrementally in a linear fashion from tip to butt. Some rods bend in such a manner that guides may need to be bunched together slightly in areas where the rod bends most. I try to keep a guide on every ferrule if it doesn't compromise the reduction of angle too much, or isn't too near the reel. I have also found that through using static guide placement, many blanks do not require a guide as close to the tip as 4 inches or so like most generic placements dictate.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.tyrd.cox-internet.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 09:40PM

John. Most of my rods are 0 to 2 weights so I favor REC 4-3-2-2-1s to tip. Size #10 ceramic for a stripper. For a heavier rod 12-10-8-6-5s ceramics. 6 weight and above, I might use a 16-12-10-8-6s. The new Titans are priced right. For a rod with a lot of bend in the tip, I do bunch up the guides, sometimes 4 to 5 inches apart for the upper section, but always with an eye for that guide on the ferrule. I put guides on the ferrules first, then static distribute the rest. This sometimes puts an extra guide or two on the rod. Bob Meiser gets by with a very few guides on his switch rods, many fewer than normal.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:04PM

I have compared several guide spacing charts over the years and have found that they are all remarkably similar in their measurements. Is only one of these charts "right"? I don't think so. I concur with most of the comments here...don't go coo-coo with this stuff. Find a chart, lay out the guides and do a quick static test JUST IN CASE...Chances are good that you won't have to move any guides.

Tight Lines,

Tim

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:23PM

TK's concept setup has served me extremely well on my last few builds. The static deflection helps me get them positioned for good stress distribution, and the test casts help me get the best line flow. It's all about tweaking what you start with for best performance.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: May 10, 2005 04:32PM

I have been using either the Fuji concept chart (with my own guide sizes) or the Forhan equal distance chart. I use these as a starting place and tweak as needed. Typically I dont need to tweak the forhan chart at all.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 09:33AM

What does a guide on every ferrule do? If you use a chart plus a guide on every ferrule you could have very uneven spacing and it would would look like a blind man built it. I know looks aren't everything but I think they play a major role in a high end fly rod.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 11, 2005 12:51PM

You have to wrap the ferrule anyway so why not have it hold a guide also? If it just really won't work, don't do it, but I've found I can get nicely spaced guides that look like they distribute the load well and put a guide on each ferrule. I guess it's a matter of how much time you're willing to spend futzing with the guide spacing. Obviously for rods that have 5 or more pieces, you probably won't have a guide on the first ferrule above the butt section, depending on the length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster