I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stumped
Posted by: Bill Majerle (---.191.73.27.dul.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 10:14AM

I made up a rod last week using varigated black and gold "C" thread with red "A" accent windings for the guides and used the same two threads to do a weave pattern on the butt end. I carefully mixed the flex coat and did the whole rod. The butt end dried but the olny part on the tip end that dried was the ferrule end. I waited two days, mixed up another batch of flex and did the rod again. Same thing happened. I ended up taking all the guides off the tip section and re-tying them. I bought new flex coat, syringes and cups. I will try to do the tip end of the rod tonight. This has never happended to me before. Just wondering if it could be something so simple that I'm overlooking????????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stumped
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 11:56AM

Sounds like a mixing concern.For best results after mixing pour out the finish on tin foil and let it sit for about 5 mins.When the finish is used directly from the cup when you get to the end you start to take finish from the sides and this is sometimes not mixed well.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:44PM

Fred is right on with this one. It almost certainly the mixing. After all the "learning" I have done the hard way and all the dishing out of advice on how to mix and so forth, I messed up a batch two days ago not taking it out of the cup. Thought I was a pro and was reminded from the flexcoat yet again...that I am not! I have to admit that it was my fault and it was the rush that I was in that caused me not to get the foil to pour it out on.

So, as I am coating the wraps again tonite, I will learn yet another lesson the hard way!

Domenic

Posted by: Bill Majerle (---.191.73.27.dul.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 02:55PM

Your probably correct---Now that I think of it ,I did pour part of the Flex on tin foil and I bet that was the Flex I used on the butt end. Tonight I will put all the flex on tin foil and if that doesn't work ------------- Thanks for the response! As I posted, it was probably something simple. What I don't understand is why the second coat didn't firm up on top of the first coat? Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster