I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod Builders - need advice & my introduction
Posted by: Scott Wood (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 10:33AM

I'm looking to put together a medium duty conventional surf rod(9 - 10 ft) for casting metal in the 2 to 4 oz. range. I anticipate mating it with an Abu 5500 or 6500 reel spooled with 12 or 14 lb. test line.

I've been looking at the Rainshadow SU1087 or 1207 but am not in a position to get my hands on these rods to get an idea as to feel & action. My primary concern is that the rod may be too light when casting lures at the heavier end of my range. I could always go with the 1088 or 1208 but then I wonder about lighter lures.

Has anybody had any experience with these blanks? Any opinions?

I'm also only interested in the finest quality components - recommendations?

Now for an introduction....

I'm from Chesapeake, VA and am getting back into rod building after layoff of about 15 years. My experience, even then, was limited. I built a few spinning rods and fly rods for my own use. Getting back into the groove and boning up on available materials & techniques has been staggering to say the least, though the research is probably as enjoyable & interesting as the rod building itself. The first thing I did was subscribe to Rodmaker and am currently looking for suitable, updated, books. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for inputs & advice - and thanks - Tom Kirkman - for this great site!

/Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod Builders - need advice & my introduction
Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 02:14PM

Greetings Scott...both are good blanks for the weight you want to use. The discontinued All Star blanks had several that would also fit your needs. You might consider going with a 2 piece blank if transporting would be easier...it is also easier to sell a long 2 piece than a one piece. Fishsticks4u.com, a sponsor here, is located in your area...great guys to work with.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 02:36PM

For 2-4 oz I'll reccomend the Rainshadow SU 1267, it's two piece and 10.5 feet long.

Posted by: Bob Williams (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 06:41PM

SU 1207 (1 pc) and the SU 1267 (2 pc) are both great for that weight. Match those up with a set of Fuji BMNAG Alconites and you'll be in good shape. Can't go wrong with using Fishsticks4U as a vendor either, they will take good care of you.

Date: May 07, 2005 06:49PM

Wow, I hadn't located them yet. Appreciate the replies. I am able to transport a 1 piece so I didn't even give it a second thought. The 2 piece is probably a better option no matter how you slice it. I'll give fishsticks4u a call.

/Scott

Posted by: capt. ray brown (---.152.78.113.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 08:13PM

Scott,
We would be glad to have you up to look at the blanks.We are in providence forge va, right up I 64 from you.Robert HAS SLIP OUT ON ME ALL WEEK GONE TO THE OUTBANKS SURF FISHING. He will be back monday.He has built both of these blanks.We have the full line of rainshadow surf blanks in stock.
capt. ray fishsticks4u 804-746-9711 or 804-966-7577- shop

Date: May 07, 2005 08:34PM

Thanks Capt. Ray, I'll take you up on that. I'll be away on business travel myself through the 16th, but will call you when I return.

Tough week to be fishing on the banks - during a Nor'EAster. Too bad it's kept the drum from making their appearance!

I'm specifically putting a medium duty rod together to fish the banks for Blues/Stripers and anything else that will hit a Hopkins or Stingsilver. A heaver is next in line.

Thanks again, Scott

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 09:47PM

I am in Virginia Beach (neighbor). Give me a call, I sent you my ph no via email.

Lou

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 07, 2005 11:37PM

Scott - For some suggestions on recent articles & updated books:
Best Wishes. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

"Guide to Building SURF RODS", written by Tom Kirkman, with Mike Ballard, Neil Faulkner & Ken Preston. RodMaker Magazine Volume 7, Issue #1, pg. 22-33. It's only $7, it's cheaper than any book and covers a wide range of consideration. To order a RMM back issue 7(1), go to: [www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Rod Building Guide, by Tom Kirkman, ~ $16. Step by Step instructions for crafting your own custom fishing rod. Building a spinning, casting, surf, fly or offshore rods, Rod Building Guide will explain the how and why in clear, concise text with nearly 100 full color photographs. 51 pages paperback.

THE NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building, by Dale P. Clemens ~ $30. Dale Clemens has completely rewritten this new book. He continues to display his expertise in his discussion of methods for building every kind of rod-from ultra-light fly to surf and offshore trolling. Following detailed explanations and illustrations, rod builders can design, built, and embellish rods to suit their particular desires and needs. Hardcover, 320 pages.

Date: May 08, 2005 07:58AM

Thanks Cliff.

Ordered the back issue last week - I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

I'll check the books out.

/Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster