I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Attaching single leggers for whipping.
Posted by: JEREMY AIREY (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 03:13AM

Hi Chaps
A Brit. needs your help.
You might have covered this before.
I need your help and advice on how to attach small (and large) single foot guides for whipping to the blank.
Is there a less fiddly and more stable way than mucking about with thin bits of sticky tape? This doesn't make for a very solid connection especially with the smaller rings and there smaller feet.
I can get by this way and have in the past but is there a better way out there?
Please help guys - I've got a Shimano Scorpion 1001 that NEEDS me to build an 'acid' wrapped 6 foot ultralight for it.
Thanks to your board I know all about and use the Fouran(?) locking wrap so am sure you can help me on this simple little problem.
regards
Jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Attaching single leggers for whipping.
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 07, 2005 03:23AM

Flex coat guide foot adhesive. Easy to use, holds well, easy to adjust the guides if you need to.

Posted by: jeremy airey (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 03:42AM

Thanks Ted
A question - being in the UK I may (OK will) have difficulty getting this stuff can.
What type of adhesive is this - eg rubbery, silicon based or is it a 'thixotropic' glue like Evostik?
Is there another source of this apart from Flexcote.
Again thanks
regards
Jeremy

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 07, 2005 04:12AM

It's basically hot melt glue, like you would put in a glue gun. Flex-coat's stuff may be slightly different.
After running out of a sample a rod-building friend sent me, I use hot melt glue too, and it works just as well. Don't use slowset (woodworking) hot melt. Regular general purpose stuff works fine.

Posted by: john king (---.nf.sympatico.ca)
Date: May 07, 2005 05:16AM

I use elasticized string and a drop of glue to hold the guides in place for wrapping. The technique is described here in part 9 of Al Campbell's rod building series
@#$%&/begin/graphite/part9.html

John

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 06:56AM

Hi. Just a newbie here, but I got myslef a bunch of small dia. surgical tubing as suggested in the Clemens book. I cut-off a donut for each leg, roll them down the blank, seat the guide and roll the donut over its leg(s). Its wicked easy to move/adjust and holds well - except at the tip of smaller blanks where I think i need an even smaller dia. tubing which i plan to get; and it cuts off easily after wrapping. I cant imagine having to glue, heat, reglue everytime i need to make an adjustment - and being a newbie i make a lot of adjustments. Maybe as time goes on and adjustments arent needed as much then glueing might be more practical i dont know. The tubing I got is about 3 feet long so should provide a lot of mileage, and is very cheap.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 07:20AM

Tubing is my preferred method and may be obtained at hobby stores that specialize in gas powered models. The fuel line tubing for those models come in various diameters right down to the smallest for the guides closest to the tip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.186.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 10:01AM

Like John does but I use rubber bands. Ty them on with a double knot above where they will go then slide them in place

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.154.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:09PM

this is one of those subjects which comes up frequently. pretty ingenious solutions if i recall correctly. my own little contribution consists of using small hair bands, not really rubber, kind of rubbery latex i use for my little girl's pony tails. please don't tell her. they can be found in packs in the section of a drug store or even supermarkets where you'd find other hair care items like combs and brushes. little pastel colored thingies...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:35PM

I get "fuel line" tubing at a model/hobby shop (iit comes in various dianeters and is really inexpensive) I just use a razor blade and cutting board and cut up a years supply in a very short time. Just slip as many as you need down the blank before you put the tip top on (I put a few extra on just in case) They make it real easy to adjust/move guides and strong/tight enough for test casting/static distribution test. whe wrapping all you have to do is touch them with a razor blade and they fly off. The best/easiest method that have found so far. Get 2 different sizes so you can stay tight anywhere on any rod

Mike

Posted by: JEREMY AIREY (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 04:03PM

Thanks again guys.
I'll give all these methods a try and see which one works best for me.
thanks and regards
Jeremy

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:24PM

I just cut very small stips of blue painters tape and use that. I cut it so it only covers about half of the foot. Cheap and easy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster