I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Metric system
Posted by: Dennis Gillotte (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:34PM

Hi, need a little help with the english equivelents to the metric measurements. I think 25 mm = 1 inch What about cm? Thanks for any help.

dennis in pasadena

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metric system
Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:39PM

10mm=1cm 1cm=3/8"

Posted by: David Wilson (209.29.220.---)
Date: May 06, 2005 09:40PM

the main units for length

1000 mm = 1 m mm = milli-meter, as in one in a thousand
100 cm = 1 m cm = centi-meter, as in one in a century or hundred
1000 m = 1 km km = kilo-meter, thousand

25.4 mm = 1 inch
2.54 cm = 1 inch
.0254 m = 1 inch

it is a system, much bigger than this

Date: May 06, 2005 09:42PM

Thanks guys ....should be able to figure it out with this info!

dennis in pasadena

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 10:13PM

Google now does unit-of-measure conversions. For example, type "1 inch in cm" in the entry box and it returns "1 inch = 2.54 centimeters". It accepts most abbreviations of the units also.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 11:03PM

Ranting, just inore me.

Why we measure in inches, is beyond me. THe MEtric system is just a million times easier to learn, to compare sizes, is easier to be exact, adn just makes a whole lot more sense than trying to figure out if 13/64" is bigger than 1/4" & etc. It would also make a lot, and I mean a lot more sense if manufacturers would pick one and stick to it - ALL of them. Converting a 17mmIS reel seat to inches to seee if it will fit on a blank with a .670 Butt OD - Geez, I feel like I'm doing 4rd grade Math for the 3rd time, lol

Done compalining. THank you, drive thru

Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 11:27PM

Dennis, send me an e-mail. garyncts@yahoo.com

Date: May 06, 2005 11:34PM

I thought I heard some time ago we were going to switch to the metric system. I know when working on cars the metric system is the only one I know as I have only owned German,English,japanese etc. Don't even own any of those funny fraction tools...lol

thanks again for the responses

dennis in pasadena

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 06, 2005 11:45PM

Many moons ago, when I overhauled the 350 in my 79 Chevy 3/4 ton, the only metric bolts on it were the flywheel bolts (15 mm wrench) and the radiator mounting bolts (10 mm wrench). Everything else on it had the funny fractions. Both systems make sense to me but I don't like running back and forth between them. Wish there was just one system.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 06, 2005 11:58PM

English units are pretty in_grain_ed in this group and in the rating of rods and lines.

Mike

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 01:28AM

Metric system is far superior and much easier to calculate than the English system. Also, most of the rest of the world uses the metric system.

We're way behind other countries IMHO..

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 03:17AM

We have had the metric system for some time now and it really does make things a @#$%& of a lot easier. I find now when I hear measurements in /64's etc I can't do the conversions well enopugh to be accurate. This is particularly difficult when ordering fancy winding checks etc. Believe me, line ratings in kg's when ordering blanks are again far superior to the old pound measurements. Tried both systems, like metric.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 07:55AM

4.1 threads of Madeira, or 3.8 threads of Gudebrod "A"....= 1 mm !!!!!!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 11:17AM

Billy, Stan, et. al,

I agree. I wish all these mesurements were in metric units. Why in the "7734" do we rod tips in tube size 64 ths and ring size in mm (or metric). If this does not add to ones mental confusion (insanity) I don't know - maybe we are all mental cases. Even in Canada they use the metric system. Should we blame it on England? Stop this confusion go 100% metric. Everyone would be educated with time. I thought the USA said 20 years ago we would go metric. Only the wine and liquior industry have changed to 100% metric. There are 454 grams to one pound of hamburger!

going fishing
Ed

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:01PM

Ed - lol!!! 7734 - turn that calculator over. 07734.

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2005 12:10PM

I think I got the English System in decimals down pat. In fact I like the decimals better than trying to figure out what size in decimals equals what in MM ???
I get confused like the rest when I try to figure out what decimal equivalent is equal to what in MMs !!!

Now for the really confusing part of weights that I can't figure out ... what does one one hundreth of a pound equal to in ounces ??? There are 16 ounces in a pound ... but what is one one hundredth of a pound ??? Ask a manager at a grocery store and they won't be able to tell you either !!!

Is anybody else confused about this too ???

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2005 02:31PM

The U.S. failed in the conversion to Metric, because it attempted to teach people how to convert between the two systems. Such was not necessary. You just drop one and pick up the other. There is no need to convert between the two. Once you start using the Metric system, and only the Metric system, and forget about how it relates to our present system, you can easily see how superior it is. But that's hard to do unless everyone does it and at the same time.

Dennis may have wanted the conversion information for some other reason, of course.

Date: May 07, 2005 02:46PM

Too bad we have to remain out of step with most of the world but unfortunatly when change requires some effort it seems society will opt for the (seemingly) easy route most of the time. Oh well some where down the road maybe.

dennis in pasadena

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 08:19PM

The Flex Coat web site has a conversion chart you can download.

rhr

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: May 07, 2005 10:27PM

converting is the pits! but my favorite free converter program is at:
[www.joshmadison.com]

The thrill is not in the kill

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster