I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocked cork (yes again)
Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 06:50PM

After reading the post by Mr. Stevens, I have a question.

Why not use the "inferior" grade of cork? It seems that with the frequency of posts complaining about the quality of cork aviable that this type of cork would be the perfect type to use. I've never made one, I still don't like the feel of the ones that I've touched down at the local Cut Throat Tackle. But in my mind it seems that it would be the most economical. Use the cork with the visual flaws that you don't like, fill in the pitts with the epoxy/dust method, and then flock. Save the "perfect" cork for those rods that the cork will all ways be seen.

I've seen the reccomendations on filling the cork, and the claim is that it is still just as strong (no peices falling out).

And for the record, no I do not want to buy or build a rod with substandard materials, but the filling method has been mentioned here repeatedly, and just don't understand why it is not used on cork that will be covered (flocking, rattan wrap, etc..) saving the "pretty cork" for a more visual effect.

Confused as allways,
Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocked cork (yes again)
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2005 08:09PM

I will assume you did not read the article on flocking. The article mentions doing exactly what you suggest, or that the best cork grades are not required for flocking.

Either way, your post should illuminate this possibly overlooked fact to those who haven't yet considered flocking.

Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 08:16PM

No, I do not have a subscription (yet, plan on it in the near future) it was the line in the post "What it's not -- Inferior Grade of Cork That Looses Filler, Comes Apart And Is Easily Stained" that got me thinking. I guess I just jumped the gun by combining that with the posts about great cork getting hard to find.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jason

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2005 08:30PM

The article is also in the online library.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.30.182.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 10:54PM

Jason, you are absolutely correct but I think that you were misinterpreting what Bill is trying to do... marketing. Get people interesting in flocking without them thinking that it is simply a cover up for shoddy material underneath. From a consumer point of view, if someone were trying to sell me on a flocked grip, I would want to know what exactly has been flocked. Is it plastic, balsa wood, rotten cork, etc... What he is trying to get across to customers is that a flocked grip is simply the same high quality cork that they like, are used to, and understand, but with a new type of "finish".

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 10:10AM

Thanks Mick - You Hit The Nail On The Head! I find that I can get a really nice looking grip using "cheap" preformed cork a lot easier by flocking than I can buy fluor rings, glue them up, turn, sand and seal cork rings. The preformed cork grips that I can buy, forget the grading which is just plain comical, after a years use just look bad. I think the flocking will fit my needs if I can just "market" the things. The appearance, weight, color options, feel and I hope the durability looks like they should be accepted in the long run. Just like the spiral wrap this stuff just looks abnormal to the "experienced" fisherman.

I had never thought of "smell" as a problem on grips until a fishing guide who fishes trout and redfish and has a lot of EVA told me his rod storage closet would gag a maggot! I hope someone will give me a few more ideas - that was the reason for the post.

Bill Stevens

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.91.104.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 03, 2005 10:25PM

Bill,
I hear you on preform grips and even with most of the cork rings I seem to get. I "gunstock" my cork grips unless someone expressly forbids it (which none have so far). It locks the filler in place, and darkens it up considerably so a lot of times some really cool patterns come out, sometimes not. It also eliminates any need to clean the grips outside of a quick wipe of a rag. Once people actually see and feel the difference with a wet hand, they are sold on the finish over the raw cork. I have a customer too who also complained about the smell of cork grips after a lot of of fishing and a week or so of sitting in his boat locker. He loves the finished grips I've done.

Highlight all of the advantages and what you feel may be any disadvantages to flocking, other than what you've said.. visual preference and sticking with tradition. I've never personally felt a flocked grip so i can't really testify my own opinion, but I do believe that it would have the same advantages as what I do.

Maybe do a display grip and mask off a section or two just so people can see what is underneath. I'll put some more thought into it too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster