I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Netcraft cork?
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 02, 2005 04:05PM

Ok, I have been doing some reading, and I understand the "cork issue" as it pertains to a lack of quality cork, the new cork grading scale, etc. Here is my question:

I'm building some high end ice fishing rods, and want short grips (4-5 inches in length). The blanks I have are 1/8" diameter at the bottom - so I'm looking to buy cork with a 1/8" diameter hole. Only stuff I can find is at Janns Netcraft for 0.31 per ring - seems very inexpensive. They call it "select grade" - whatever that is. Does anyone have any experience with Jann's cork of this grade? Is it usable??? My problem is that I'm very new to this, and very small time - I can't afford to throw $1.50 a ring at these. I am kicking around the idea of just building the handles out of burl and wood, but am afraid of the resulting weight - tough on a 24" long rod.

any help is very much appreciated!

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Netcraft cork?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.254.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 04:44PM

i would think anyone's experience with cork purchased anywhere in the past probably would not necessarily reflect what is stocked at the moment, since stock turns over frequently. i mean this towards any vendor, but i'm just guessing.

this is where the cork scale tom published in rodmaker mag comes in handy. i would suggest calling them and if at all possible, have a copy in your hand and one in the jann's rep's hand and compare. i now understand the words "flor, " "select", "extra select," have no meaning in the scale and you simply look at the three photos, labeled CG1 (least imperfections), CG2 and CG3 and choose.

hopefully someone will reply with more useful info for you. :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Jon Erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: May 02, 2005 05:51PM

i use netcraft cork i buy it 50 rings for about 14 dollars i end getting about 3 fly grips out of it and use the rest on repairs on rods i dont care about the fly grips arnt the best but it the best deal out there that i have found

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2005 05:57PM

Right, just ask them which photo the stuff they have on hand comes closest to matching. That way you'll know what you're actually buying up front. With cork, the best surprise is no surprise.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: May 02, 2005 08:07PM

Rich. i built 6 rods using the i/8 id cork a couple of years ago. was pretty good at that time . as mentioned earlier stock changes. the problem is getting a mandrel stiff enough to turn them. andy dear made a proto type but he said it was too whippy. i ended up using some old blank tops as mandrels. It is doable though. I have since switched to Janns 6 in. graphite handles, put some fuji plate seats on a few. at 10 bucks a handle for them it does run the price up. but they are for myself so it doesn,t matter. Let me know how you make out as ice fishing rods are really cool to build. John

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 03, 2005 08:22AM

John - that is the concern I'm having as well, the inherent whippiness of an 1/8" mandrel. I'm thinking/hoping though, that with such short handles (approx 5 inches), I can keep mandrel length quite short and hopefully it will work ok. How do you like the Jann's graphite handles? I'm not too fond of the St. Croix Avid handles - love the blank, don't care for the handle (or the handle on the Premier either). So, I'm going to basically copy a handle I love from a cheapy Gander Mountain First Ice rod, very simple, straight taper. If they turn out, I will post a pic. I do much more icefishing than openwater - it's just more fun!

Thanks all for the help.

Rich

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 06:28PM

Rich, you are right on the short mandrels, it will work with a little playing around.St. Croix uses the graphite handle on that new legend elite ice rod with the new spring bobber i believe. Jury is still out on the graphite handles, cork is tuff to beat. I spiral wrapped a 26 in. jigging rod last season, that gets the guys on the ice talking.Nice thing about building ice rods you can experiment with handles, thread colors, guides etc. and i think it is a lot of fun. John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster