I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap packing tools - what do you use?
Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 08:19AM

I spent last night packing a fishscale wrap. I am using one of the Gudebrod plastic burnishing tools. It was tough going - the point was almost but not quite small enough to get in between threads. My hands hurt! Anyway, in Clemens book he shows a metal tool with a blunt point. Are these available anywhere? What does evrey one use for packing?

Cheers,
Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2005 08:20AM by Michael Hackney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap packing tools - what do you use?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 08:26AM

There is a handy dandy little packing tool that you can buy at a Sally Beauty Supply store. The thing is a small chrome plated Cuticle Pusher that has a spade foot on one end and a pointed end on the other. It is a good size that can be used on flat chevron edges with the flat end and the thread crossings with the other. Be sure that you take some emory cloth and smooth the edges on the end to prevent blank scratching. The cost for this thing is less than $ 2. They also sell one that has a plastic flexible end. These things coupled with a dental pick are all that I use along with an ice pick for rolling.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 09:05AM

Another option(almost as cheap) is to check out the clay sculpting tools available in the art department of most craft stores. There are a number of different shapes (two per tool), usually mounted in wooden handles and selling in the 3-4 dollar range. These tools are also useful for working epoxy paste (such as when molding a taper to meet a cork grip for the no-winding-check, thread-wrapped superfine look (artist's pallet knives are also useful for working epoxy paste).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.238.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 09:47AM

You can also shape a popsicle stick. Soft wood, easy to hold and will not harm thread, or blank

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 09:50AM

Now I don't feel like such a nerd. I am starting my second rod now but on my first I raided my wife's nail polish bag. I came away with a cuticle pusher for my thread tool.....and here I was thinking that I was a caveman. She was shocked to see it laying under my wrapper along with a good plate covered in tin foil and epoxy! The thing is it worked- really, really, well, just looked odd.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 10:18AM

What do you think when the check out person at Sallys' sees an old man checking out with cuticle pushers, cutical Tweezerman Nippers, emory boards, nylon nail polish sealant with uV protection, fine glitter, facial treatment loop removal tool, hair shaper handles and Personnal Razor blades. They check out the masking tape stuck to my shoes and shirt, epoxy all down the front of my shirt and metallic thread under my fingernails. Not one of them has had the guts to ask me what I am doing with all that stuff. Bob M. will be in trouble if they ever start taking mail orders!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: April 29, 2005 10:30AM

And don't forget your local sewing and knitting shop! Knitting needles work too!!. If you want to do the Forhan locking wrap, pick up a small darning dohickey with the little hook at one end. Oh...and pattern marking white pencils....thread spool racks.....Sulky metalics.....

Posted by: Frank Persico (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 10:56AM

HI,
That small cuticle pusher is called an orange stick and you can get them in any drug store and the darning dohickey with the little hook at the end is a corcheting needle available in craft stores, I use one when I do weaves and it picks up threads very well. If any one asks you think about how you can dazzle them with your brillance.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 11:19AM

FYI That darning dohickey can also be used for picking out backlashes in a reel.
not that any of us would get one but you can pass it on to your partners.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 29, 2005 11:52AM

Am I missing something here? I use the rounded portion/back of the burnishing tool. Rubbing the tool in one direction is what packs the thread. I can't imagine picking at individual threads. The plastic Gudebrod works just fine for this purpose.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 04:45PM

Billy V set me up with a triangular, pointed stainless steel tool. It was way too sharp, but after some light sanding, its perfect for fine packing. My rodbuilding mentor Roy Brauer, intoduced me to shish kabob skewers (100 for $2). Not only can you BBQ, but you can also pack thread, and mix epoxy, and.......

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 05:05PM

I got all my wrapping hand tools from my dentist. They keep a drawer full of old tools that just sit for a while until they chuck them. They were more than happy to give them away to me. Now, I'm always asking if they have any old stuff I can look at before they throw them.

Ask, the worse they will do is say no.

Tim

Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 05:52PM

Thanks folks, that gives me enough ideas to find something useful.
Michael

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 29, 2005 06:50PM

One more to try - fly tying bobbins - the type that have couple of prongs to hold the spool of thread and a hollow tube to poke the thread through. I have one which has a little lip on the end of the tube, and it is brilliant for getting in between threads or pushing them together when required.
Dave

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 09:20PM

I pack with a hard plastic tool similar to a dental pick, used in the high vacuum industry for o-ring removal, along with the standard thread tool.

The thrill is not in the kill

Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.rd.shawcable.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 11:37PM

geez, all I use is the plastic cap off a ballpoint pen. Guess I'm Low-tech.

Shanon

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 30, 2005 06:46AM

Ya know all those plastic paint brushes from Walmart that ya buy and through away? I save a few and file the ends to differnent shapes for packing. Cheap and don't break thread and I can shape them into anything I want to pack what I need to pack.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.160.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 01, 2005 08:48AM

I used to use those Scott, but found that because they were round I would have to turn them every time I picked it up. The popsycle stick was flat and was at the right angle every time I picked it up Go figure?

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 01, 2005 11:37AM

I only used the back, rounded side of a single edge razor blade I used for cutting the thread ends with, for the longest time. Worked for me for more than a couple of decades. Course, I did break down in the past few years and buy a Gudebrod plastic thread burnisher since I had a few bucks laying around unused at the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster