I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fugi LBSG single foot SIC's for spirals
Posted by: Ed Grella (69.177.182.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 11:03PM

With all the spiral/ wrappers out there, has anyone tried the new Fugi LBSG heavy duty single foot SIC guides? They are designed for stand up tuna rods and seem perfect for the 180 axis guides on soft tipped moderate action trolling blanks used for Stripers/Kingfish. Thanks, Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fugi LBSG single foot SIC's for spirals
Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 11:41PM

I've been using Fuji LBSG's for Acid wraps for as long as these guides have been on the US market(4years?)! Great guides for offshore rods! I have built rods to 60# class with great results

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: April 28, 2005 10:07AM

Jim, Are you using a single foot for the first guide on the 0 axis? I am thinking of using the two foot SIC on the top and singles from the second guide on. Thanks, Ed

Posted by: Dave Barrett (66.54.212.---)
Date: April 28, 2005 11:05AM

Ed,

Like Jim I've been using these guides for quite a while. They are what I used on my favorite stand up rod. A spiral wrapped Calstar GF765ML that I fish with 80# test line and 27# of drag at strike. Every guide expect the tiptop is an LBSG. The rod has taken many tuna and the guides have never moved. What I think is important is to prep the bottom of the guide foot so that it's entire bottom makes contact with the blank and to tripple wrap them with a locking wrap.

As to guide placement, I offset the first 2 guides just enough so that the line doesn't hit the blank. Without having the blank to look at I'd guess that those guides are at 330 and 210 degrees with the line passing the blank on the left side. The rest are at 180.

Dave

Date: April 29, 2005 01:35AM

Hey Ed, I use a double footed Stripper guide and sometimes 2nd dbl footed transition guide. I do this to get max clearence of a larger ringed guide, usually a #20 HNSG or LRSG. However, if you can get away just using a #16 like DaveB more power to you!

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: April 29, 2005 10:56AM

Dave and Jim, Thanks for the info. I have two Seeker blanks that I will use these guides on. I will have to try the deflection test to see if the larger butt guides are needed. Are you guys underwrapping the guides and then triple wrap each guide? Do you put on a coat of epoxy between each wrap? Ed

Date: April 29, 2005 09:28PM

Ed I triple wrap my LBSGs, that is an under wrap and 2 over-wraps. I use a light coat of finish between the wraps. I also use the Forhan Locking Wrap on the 1st guide wrap as security. Have fun!

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.169.211.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 08:51AM

Thanks for all of the info!!!!!!!! Ed

Date: May 01, 2005 12:49PM

Hey Ed, you have to report the results!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster