I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' Saltwater Spinning Rods
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:44PM

I have the opportunity to build my first saltwater spinning rods. I have a customer asking for four rods to match to his Penn Spinning reels, 450, 550, 6500, and 7500. I'm guessing that e glass is the way to go, but have a few questions:
1. Looking for suggestions on blank choice. My plan is to give him three quotes, based on blank quality. But I need to have choices on blanks from good to better to best.
2. Would you experienced SW builders recommend "D" thread? Underwraps and guide wraps?
3. I'm guesssing that double foot spinning guides are the right choice, at least for the first two or three. Opinions on feet and guide choices?
4. Finally, is E glass the way to go?

I would appreciate feedback from the saltwater pros out there. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' Saltwater Spinning Rods
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:49PM

I would suggest you use D thread only if that's what you prefer. Size A will get the job done.

Single foot guides will do fine on a heavy spinner. Heck we use them on big spiral rods...which is in essence a glorified spinning rod.

Jay

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 11:34PM

Can you give a little more info on rod use and what weights of tackle/rigs will be used?

Posted by: Ed Grella (69.177.182.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 11:39PM

Fran, on the rods for the 450 and 550 reels I would use single foot guides and A thread. As far as blanks go, will he be fishing mostly from a boat? Is he a surfcaster? What type of action does the customer prefer? Plugs or chunks? If possible, see if he has a favorite rod that he uses and match the action on that rod. Ed

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: April 28, 2005 06:32AM

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. I am still waiting for him to send me more specifics about how he uses the rods. You pose some good questions. As soon as i have more info, I will post another message. I know he plans to use theswe rods from a boat, not the surf. He did mention tarpon, but he didn't say how he fished for them. I'll get back with more info soon. Thanks again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2005 08:55AM

Saltwater includes everything from a speckled trout, don't tell the swamp people these things are called "weakfish", to a thing called a tuna!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: April 28, 2005 10:24AM

While you are waiting, you may want to visit Mudhole and look at the Seeker blanks. A wide range of options that they line up with most of the basic techniques (Jigging, Live Bait, Plugging, etc). imo, their composites build into nice, durable inshore and heavier rods.

Another option I like for medium power inshore is to build out a popping blank into a spinning rod. Batson, imo, has great popping blanks.

Posted by: Jeff Coen (168.133.61.---)
Date: April 28, 2005 10:44AM

Be careful with the ratings that are supplied by the rod/blank makers. they tend to be quite loose and could cause you problems. Its not like the fly rods where if it says 8wt it probably is. I have seen a much broader variability in the ratings on spinning rods/blanks. If you are looking at a rod that is rated for 8-17 lb test line and it will cast 1/2 to 2 oz it will do some of that but I have yet to find a rod that will cover the range that is published. You might want to try to build one of the middle weight rods first so you can cast it before building the others. That way you can get a read on what weight it likes the best. Or maybe have your customer cast some finished factory rods so you can be assured that you have a blank that will cast the desired weight.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just know that if you go by the blank catalog and build 4 rods you will probably be off on a couple of them. I have a 7' spinning rod that is rated 2-4 oz and likes 4 -5 oz. I have another one that is rated 1 1/2 - 3 oz and it will do 1 1/2 - 2 oz but no more than that. Just be cautious and up front with your customer and you'll avoid problems down the road.

Just my two cents. Good luck with the rods.

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.225.132.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 28, 2005 01:47PM

You have received many great responses....

with saltwater, you have to include casting distance in any blank question, You may see 2 blanks rated basically the same, with 2 different reactions to loading and casting...

saltwater rods can be a bear to pin down a good blank...

took me 4 years to select the loomis 1448 for an 8 oz and bait casting rod...

You may also ask him of the distances he needs to cast to reach his targets..that will play heavily in the equation.

Good Luck !!

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.225.132.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 28, 2005 01:50PM

nmsg..forgot to add replies - email selection...

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: April 28, 2005 04:17PM

Off topic...sorry

In NC we call gray trout 'weakfish' & we call spotted sea trout 'speckled trout'. Two different species.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster