I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken rod and rod assembly
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 06:05PM

Built a 7 wt on a St. Croiz legend ultra blank last year. Fished it a few times and cast it a few times. Took it out tonight to practice my double haul. After a few casts I noticed that the top section seemed loose. So I took the top section loose and re-seated it, pushing it down and twisting it into position. The next section down split for 3 inches right through the rod to the core. I do not see any broken fibers or any evidence of "scrim". Sortal looks like the stiff green layer has seperated from the darker layer under it in the region of the split. I am not even sure when it happened. It may have split during casting and just noticed it when I reseated the ferrule, or it could have happend then. The split does not really affect the casting so I am not sure.

What gives Is twisting a ferrule while you seat it a no no? My understand is that for a graphite rod that is the reccomended procedure.

I am going to send it back to St. Croix. What is the best procedure for a finished rod built from a blank. Should I send the whole rod back? Will they return my old rod so that I can re use the SIC titanium guides? Will they likely replace one section or the whole blank? Cheap reel seat but pretty nice cork on the handle. Would hate to have to redo the butt section.

Any help would be appreciated before I pack this thing up and ship it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken rod and rod assembly
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 06:30PM

Check with St. Croix, but in the past other suppliers had me strip the damaged section but ship the entire rod. I bet the rod was already split before you re-seated it (correctly) and this is what made it loose.

Re: Broken rod and rod assembly
Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: April 28, 2005 08:02AM

I had a 9 wt do this same thing, after the original rod broke and St Croix replaced it. The male ferrules splintered a little on the replacement rod. I sold the rod and never looked back. I don't think the Ultra Legend is going to be a legend at all. I am sure somebody loves the Ultra Legend but I had no luck with it at all.
I don't have much experience with any other St Croix blanks but I hear they are highly acclaimed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster