I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hate CP?
Posted by: Ryan Rossiter (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:42PM

It seems that some of you really don't like CP for one reason or another. What are the down sides to using CP?

Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hate CP?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:49PM

Operator error, mostly. In order for it to do its job you have to do your job - good thread word mainly.

I use CP of all types on all my rods dating back some 25 years. I like it and have never had a problem.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:59PM

Love it! I use it 99% of the time. Never had a problem. I don't really see a downside to it although we probably just opened a can of worms!!

Mike

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 02:20PM

I use it 100% of the time even on NPC and metalic threads. I have been using it for at least 30 years, maybe more. I know they will all disagree but ones that hate it are not using it correctly.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 02:29PM

Use it most all the time. Use one coat, put it on heavy and wisk away what doesn't soak in. Have even dabbed with a paper towel.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: April 27, 2005 02:34PM

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear people praise the stuff instead of bashing it into the dirt. I haven't built many rods but have always used CP. I like the look and have never had a problem.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 03:06PM

I use it occasionally, and haven't experienced major problems, but I just like the look of no CP better. The one trouble I do have is keeping water from seeping between my thread and finish epoxy. I know that it's a function of getting a good seal with the epoxy over the edge of the thread wraps, but there's usually one guide per CP rod allows water in. I also know that this is user error, but no matter how hard I try, I still have a little trouble with this.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 03:36PM

I took care of the CP problem by using a metallic underwrap, black overwrap, and 1/16th black automotive pinstriping tape for trim bands, in other words, I don't use it. Jesse

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: April 27, 2005 03:42PM

There are some things that you shouldn't ask it to do like yellow size A thread over a black blank for instance. The product works as intended but you do have to exercise some common sense and pack your threads tight. I think you'll find that 99% of the people who use it get good results. But no product is completely idiot proof.

Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 04:53PM

I have had some proplems with CP as I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago. From the responses I got from that post I assume my inexperience is the major culprit, that and the fact that I may be the idiot that proves the rule. At any rate, I have never received any instruction on the proper method to prepare and apply the product. I use it mostly on open cross wraps and apply it like I would epoxy, covering the entire area of the wrap. I make sure the threads are tight and I clean the entire wrap (with a brush) to remove any foreign material. I still seem to get blemishes and defects. I find the product dries to fast to remove any excess so I apply only a light coat, maybe 2. I have had some luck "cutting" the product about 50/50 with a solvent given to me by my local supply shop. Any quick lessons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2005 05:14PM by Jim Buraczewski.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 05:45PM

I would guess if you are getting blemishes, you have thinned it too much, or it needs to be mixed better.
I use Gudebrod 811 (9 parts 811, 1 part isopropyl alcohol) and have never experienced blemishes if liberally applied and left to dry completely.
I'll use a hair dryer if im in a rush, but usually let it dry overnight.
RB

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dialup.netins.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 05:49PM

Showing my ignorance again but what are the advantages for using CP on NPC thread?

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 07:42PM

Color preserver adds a step in complexity not necessary in most build scenarious. A thread design can in most cases easily be selected not requiring the use of it.

Color splotching, uneven wetting, black thread turning green, sparkling effects forming on thread, etc are all well documented. Not many complaints from using straight epoxy on the otherhand.

CP provides for a weaker bond than straight finish, esp in the critical guide to blank junction.

Probably the thing that turned me off the most was CP's ability to absorb moisture, not a good thing in saltwater environments. Maybe in fresh water its ok. Try this - coat a test wrap in straight finish, and another in straight CP. Drop both test wraps in a jar of water and see what happens.

Lou

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.109.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 08:20PM

I just like the way threads look with out it.Want the color of the thread then use it.Either way

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:38PM

Jim,

We did a very comprehensive article in RodMaker on the make up, use and common user problems and how to prevent them. The facts are that CP in and of itself does not cause problems, but if your application technique or thread work is lacking any way, you may find that CP will exacerbate those inadequate areas.

For the record, use of CP does not create an inherently weak wrap. It will be within 90% to 95% of the strength of wraps where CP is not used. So wrap strength should not be an issue.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:39PM

I sure don't have any problems with CP anymore... ;) ;)

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2005 01:16AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Dan Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:59PM

I don't like NCP thread so I use nylon combined with Color Preserver on all my wraps. I don't use it on the very dark threads like black or charcoal grey but do use it on all the other colors. I've had one problem in 15 years and that was my fault. If you use very light thread on very dark blanks you have to be very careful to pack the threads against each other very well. Any tiny gaps will really show as dark areas or blotches when you apply finish if you don't.

I switched from the Flex Coat type to the Gudebrod type to the Glass Coat type in the past couple years. I really like the stuff.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: April 28, 2005 07:30AM

Lou, I think you nailed it. I don't use the stuff because of all the reasons you posted.

Posted by: Denny Venutolo (---.org)
Date: April 28, 2005 08:48AM

I don't buy any of Lou's reasons. You can look at many rod building forums on the net and find all sorts of rod builders who claim that Flex Coat epoxy finish is no good because they can't get it work right. Who's at fault? Flex Coat epoxy or them? I've never seen any documented problems with color preserver itself, just problems with how some people try to use it. If the product was bad then no one could get good results with it and we see here that most do fine with it. I've never had any of the problems mentioned so either I'm a rod building genuis or I've just learned how to use the product properly.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 28, 2005 01:00PM

Everyone always talks about CP causing a weaker bond. Everytime that is mentioned, I ask if anyone has EVER had a guide break the wrap (not pull out as that has nothing to do with strength) or if they can even intentionally break the wrap by pulling/twisting, etc (the guide would break before the wrap) In the last couple years not one person has ever answered yes!! I will concede that it may be marginally weaker but so what!! Wire wraps would be even stronger but I haven't seen that in years.

Of course CP is will absorb water. Again, so what? The wrap is supposed to be completely encapsulated by finis. If moisture gets in, something was not properly done. Same with splotches and all the other "problems" with CP. If it were the fault of the CP, it would affect everyone, not just some

IMO opinion CP or no CP is a personal oreference and has no affect on the quality of the wrap. While some may like the look and some may not. There's nothing wrong with that but I think that telling people (especially new builders) that all knds of horrible things are probably going to happen if you use CP is WRONG!

As far as I can see, all of these "documented" problems have never been proven to be caused by CP and not the wrap itself or the way it was used.

Mike

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster