I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mistakes after mistakes
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 10:50PM

Ever have one of those weeks where everytime you touch a rod or a handle or anything you mess it up. This week I ruined a flippin stick I was refinnishing for myself that I got in a trade from a friend. I ruined two handles and alot of wood that was also going to be used as handles. How is it that you can go from doing everything perfect everytime to not even making it look like garbage. I'm about to give up and start making fishing lures instead. Alot cheaper mistakes!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mistakes after mistakes
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 11:18PM

Heck, if I did that, I'd just get the hooks stuck in me instead of cuttin' myself with razor blades!!

It'll come around. When it goes bad, go do something else and come back to it the next day; give it a bit of thought on how to improve and ALWAYS learn from your misques...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 11:26PM

Travis, like Putter says...When it goes bad, put it down and come back later! I've had to do it many times, not counting the redos.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2005 08:08AM

Usually, I find that when I make mistakes in production work, it's because I'm taking things for granted or I'm tired. If it's fatigue, I take a rest from whateve it is I'm doing, be it getting a few hours of sleep, or just walking away from the project for a day or two. Otherwise, I make sure I'm not taking mental shortcuts and being careless. Sometimes you just have to go back to basics, and make sure you're thinking out every step of your procedures the way you did when everything was new to you until you get back in the groove.

Rich L

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 09:23AM

When I hit a slump, it always seems to be one particular rod from hades. One that just seems determined not to be built. My response is to say OK, put it down, grab one of the favorites off the rack and go fish a local bream pond. Catching a few bream on a sentimental favorite (lots of fish and stories) puts everything back in perspective.

Date: April 27, 2005 10:01AM

LOL, I know what you mean Steve! Every now and then you have that one that everytime you touch it something happens! When I finish one like that, I don't let it set around. If need be, I'll take it to the customer just to get it out of the shop!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 12:02PM

I'm with ya brah!
I usually go do something that really frustrates me, and makes me wish I was wrapping rods instead.

Like GOLF!

...or take my rod aggressions out at the batting cages.

RB

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: April 27, 2005 01:51PM

I don't know if any of you do this...maybe I'm mental (wait, I know I am mental)...but I blame everythign that goes wrong during anything on a little guy that is @#$%& bent on making my day longer and more aggrevating. I have come to the conclusion that this demon of demoralization loves to get you down, but if you acknowledge that he "got you", he'll give you abreak! Try it once just for kicks and see if it changes everything back into your favor.

Example...
It goes wrong (insert anything)
Smile, lean back in your chair, wave and point index finger, say, "oooohhh KKK, you got me, you win...Now can I get some constructive work done, please?"

If anything this little exercise will make you feel like you're not the one to blame for acts like:
1. Tripping
2. Repeatedly cutting yourself with a razor blade even though you know that you've can handle their cutting power (putter)
3. Not catching fish
4. Breaking a rod tip
5. Spread exopy on the outside of a flor grade cork grip
6. Inspecting your drying thread wraps by grabbing the wraps themselves (always good for a few lessons)
7. Springing butt wraps by cutting two hard and the wrong thread end
8. INSERT YOUR RECENT MISFORTUNE HERE.

I hope that was good for a laugh or two for you.

Domenic

Date: April 27, 2005 02:33PM

Domenic, as the song goes... "You wrote my life" LOL!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster