I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Fit Repair - Rodmaker Magazine?
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 06:36AM

I have a rod (domestic blank maker) that is in need of ferrule fit repair. Manufacturer disagrees. Did I read recently that the next issue of Rodmaker magazine will have instructions on how to evaluate ferrule fit and will include repair/modification instructions?

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Fit Repair - Rodmaker Magazine?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:21AM

I have it done, but it won't be in the next issue. Maybe the one after that.

Where is your ferrule fit poor? Maybe we can get the info you need without you having to wait a few months on the article.

Date: April 26, 2005 05:01PM

Tom,
The problem is with the first ferrule of a 9' 5wt fly rod. Not long into each fishing day I notice that my first guide (stripper) is rotated out of alignment. When I fished the rod for the first time last Fall, I quickly noticed that the lip of the female ferrule was shaving the finish from the male section. It's been working loose ever since. I'd like to salvage the rod since I did a feather inlay above the grip.

Jeff Shafer

Date: April 26, 2005 05:30PM

That might indicate that the bottom of the female ferrule is making contact while the tip of the male piece is not tight.

There are several ways to go about this. You need the male to insert further. So, you could trim a little off the end of the female ferrule. Not much - just 1/8 to 3/8th inch at first to see how it goes. I would almost bet that would do it.

But before you cut anything, make very sure where the fit is lacking. You can take a pencil and rake it up and down the male ferrule to coat it. Then assemble straight in and once you have the pieces fully seated (not overly tight, however) turn the female end around and around a few times. Now carefully slide the sections straight apart. Look at the pencil lead coating on the male end and see if there is an area near the tip that is undisturbed. If so, then trimming the bottom of the female end might solve your problem.

Date: April 26, 2005 06:51PM

Thanks Tom,
I was unable to get lead to adhere to the glossy, clear-gray finish, so I used blue powdered chalk. It appeared that the chalk was removed entirely from the tip of the male section. I looked more closely at the wear pattern on the glossy surface of the male section and noticed that the surface was most scuffed at the tip and at the area near where the mouth of the female section ends, and less scuffed in between.

BTW, the blank manufacturer returned my rod with a tub of wax to apply to the ferrule.

Jeff Shafer

Date: April 26, 2005 09:09PM

These type ferrules rely on friction to hold them together and in place. The more surface that is in full contact the more friction you have to hold things where you want them. It sounds to me like the overall fit is bad - you don't have enough area in contact to keep things together.

I know how I would probably go about fixing this one, but I almost hesitate to recommend that you do it. So, you could sand just a tad near the top of the male end and then do a little internal sanding around the bottom of the female end. That might open up the tight spots so the rest of the ferrule area can make better contact.

Sanding ferrules surfaces in order to get a better fit can be tricky. You really have to be careful or you can completely ruin what you have there.

The wax you were sent is a poor solution to what amounts to a poor fitting ferrule.

Date: April 27, 2005 06:34AM

I'll hold off on the sanding solution until the end of the fishing season. Even though it was a somewhat expensive blank, I won't put up with the problem longer than that. If my attempts fail, I'll cut it up and salvage the expensive components.

Thanks Tom,
Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster