I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

toxic epoxy's
Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 04:43PM

has anyone had any other effects from using epoxies or flex coat besides skin irritations or breathing problems?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: toxic epoxy's
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 04:57PM

Well, the "skin irritations and breathing problems" can be extremely severe. I started a thread on this a few months ago: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 25, 2005 05:08PM

yeh i did a search on it found the topics on skin irritations and breathing,could there be other symtoms also? like maybe body aches in joints and muscles??

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 05:13PM

Kenny, if you are experiencing other symptoms and suspect the epoxy, that's something only a doctor could confirm.

Date: April 25, 2005 05:48PM

i have never had any skin irritations or breathing problems,i think i got the flu but this will be the 4th day of bone aches.i was thinking about the tray of finnish that i knocked over in my lap.the stirr stick fliped up and went partially on my mouth, when i went ahh hhh.back pedaling.i got it on my lips.i rinsed it off my mouth very well. it was about a week or more before i started to feel like this. i think i just caught the flu from my family since they all had it,but i don't feel sick.i just ache like i have never ached before..i just wasn't sure what to expect or if anybody may have experienced anything like this related to the chemicals.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 08:12PM

You been outside much lately? Seen any ticks? I don't want to alarm you, but if the ache's persist, have your doc check for Lymes. Caught early it's easily cured, left undetected it can be severe.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 26, 2005 01:08PM

Mr. Kenny Cuddeford - I am a student in my last year of Pharmacy school and we have had a lot of lectures on a wide range of clinical issues. My position is I'd rather be safe than sorry.

From what you have said above, your safest course is to see your Primary Health Care Provider (Medical Doctor, Nurse Practioner or Physician Assistant). It is impossible to determine if that is absolutely necessary. But if you have no impediment to accesing medical care, I would call for an appointment immediately if these muscle aches and joint pains have lasted a full week. Such symptoms are consistent with the flu. However, the flu usually resolves by 5 days. Depending on your age and general state of health (of which I have no clue), it could take you longer to recover; but that is also all the more reason to seek medical attention promptly.

As far as any relation of these symptoms being related to the amine component and allergenic capacity of your 2-part rod epoxy, symptoms like yours seem unrelated. Your tongue and lips would probably have swollen first, and you would have had trouble breathing or swallowing, which you did not describe. These symotoms are not likely to be from the epoxy, and they could be from a greater threat to your health than just a bad taste in your mouth.

The flu can be deadly is some people, and your symptoms could be from many other things beside a cold, including other dangerous infections.

Mr. Cuddeford, "GET THEE to a DOCTOR" is my official recommendation to you, since you asked. Respectfully, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 26, 2005 01:22PM

The old adage in the medical profession is:
"The Physician who treats himself has a fool for a patient."
If that is the advice to medical students, then it is certainy valid for the untrained.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster