I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bumper spiral, load distribution problem
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: April 24, 2005 08:09PM

Right now, the spacing on a shikari PMB 703 is something around 4-4-4-5-5-5-6-7-8 (still tweeking a bit since the line rubs between a couple of the 5" space guides when they are on top, trying for a "equal distance" type spacing but might to work), but the real question is with guides size 12 for the butt, 8 for the bumper, 8 for the first 180 guide, the line will not touch the first 180 ring when the rod is loaded. Tried 8 to 10 inches for the spacing between the first 180 and the butt guide. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bumper spiral, load distribution problem
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 24, 2005 08:30PM

It won't be a problem I don't think. If you load it enough it will hit the first 180 guide at some point. Or you can even make the second 180 guide a size 10 and that sometimes get the line on all the rest even under moderate load.

Posted by: Vincent Koon (203.106.182.---)
Date: April 24, 2005 08:57PM

That's what happen to me when i posted the bumper spiral question few days ago... I'm glad someone face the same problem as mine!
Which one is better, increase the distance between the bottom guide and the first 180 degrees guide or... use a bigger guide on the second 180 degrees guide than the first one?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2005 10:09PM

The first spirals I ever did were based on a 0 - 60 -120 - 180 transition set up. The first 180 guide was an 8 and the next was a 10 then back to 8's the rest of the way. I did it for just this reason. However, it may not really be necessary. If you put enough load on the rod that first 180 guide will come into play eventually. You're also down into an area of the rod that is quite beefy comparitively, and therefore can withstand a bit more stress than could an unsupported area further up near the tip.

Posted by: Dan Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 08:59AM

I'm really surprised to hear this. I just ran my lines out on the two bumper spirals I have here and the line hits and loads the first 180 guide pretty quickly. I wonder if this is some kind of anomoly that might only happen with certain blanks? I'm running a #12 butt guide and the second guide is my 180 and it's a 10. The rest are 7's from there to the tip. Even a slight load will put the line against the ring of the 10.

The distance between my 0 and 180 guides is about 10" if that makes any difference.

Posted by: Joe Barnett (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 11:58AM

I've done 6 of the "Bumpers" to date. For the most part on 7' Mag Bass - Med Hvy type blanks - For what it is worth the butt and 180 seem to end up between 10 and 12 inches apart......

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 07:30AM

Do you think a high frame butt guide would help (I only have the fuji alconite concept guides right now)? I was thinking this might change the angle at which the line wants to go through the bumper guide and result in the the line being lower in the first 180 guide, or would the opposite happen and it would just hold the line higher yet in the first 180 guide?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2005 08:23AM

A higher frame guide might do the trick, but as you mention, it could also work in reverse. Not every rod will be the same so some minor tweaking of things like this can help.

Take what you have now and put a pretty good load on it - really flex it well into the mid section. Does the line still not touch that first 180 degree guide?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster