I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building my first fly rod
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 08:26PM

I just received a blank:

American Tackle Matrix series 6'6 2 pc. MODERATE 2 wt. 3.5 (tip) .269 (butt) 0.8 weight - looks really nice - green finish shines.

I am thinking of doing gold colored guides and tip top. Would it be a bad idea to go with single foot guides instead of snake foot guides? And how many guides would be right for a rod this length? I have a Reddington Red.Fly 3/4 wt reel I was going to use with 3 wt line. Thinking of a rosewood reel seat with half wells cork handle -- or toying with the idea of the all cork handle with slide rings.

Would really enjoy hearing your comments and suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building my first fly rod
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2005 08:43PM

HI, Yes I would go with single foot guides, they control the line better, keeps line away from blank , guide doesn't let line slap against rod. Some of the other builders could answer your guide spacing better then myself, I'm sometime radical about guide sizes and spacing.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 09:27PM

Send it back immediately.

It's worse than crack.
And probably more expensive.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 10:02PM

Ha! Too funny, Scott! :)

James--I'd go with H&H standoff single foot guides in their TiN (gold) plating. We've got them in stock in our VA distribution center. REC Recoils would be another great choice. Either way, I'd probably go with 4 - sz 1's, 1 - sz 2, 1 - sz 3, and a size 10 TiN ringed ceramic stripping guide. We've got the gold tip tops, hook keepers, and winding checks in stock as well so you can pimp up the rest of the rod, too! ;)

Actually, got some sweet gold wc's coming in from Germany shortly--we'll be sure to post here once they're in.

I'd reserve judgment on which line to use until you do a Common Cents test or just go and play with it with a few lines. A 2wt Rio PocketWater or Cortland Clear Creek might be just the ticket, but again...if you're serious about finding the perfect line/rod marriage, order the Common Cents info pack from Tom K. and get a true sense of the power of the rod.

All the best on your new venture! :)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.colorado.edu)
Date: April 21, 2005 10:37PM

James when I get home tonight I'll post the guide sizes and spacing I used on my 6'6" 2 piece 2 weight.

Mark

Date: April 22, 2005 03:05AM

The Matrix series pleasantly surprised me-- I picked up a 7'9" 3 weight at the Charlotte show and found it to be not just eye-catching but a good quality fishing blank too.

My girlfriend spotted it on the way to @#$%& and called dibs on it. I am a fan of that situation as it means that I can have it around as a demo rod as well as fishing it every once in a while...

I built mine with a #10 alconite single foot stripper, #4, #2, and then #1's out to the tip.

If you can get ahold of a Triangle Taper WF2F, it would match your rod beautifully. I am a huge proponent of triangle/delta taper lines on 1-3 weights as they allow for light presentations but load fairly quickly.

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:01AM

I recently finished a Pac Bay Rainforest (dark green) 6' 6" 2 wt. I used AmTac size 5 ceramics with the gold ring. The size 5 guides are very small, and although they weigh slightly more than single foot snakes, I believe that the benefits are worth a slight (very slight) increase. Plus, they look very sharp on the green blank with a matching Ti finished reel seat.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:51AM

I want to second John's suggestion to do a Common Cents test on this blank. I''ve built on Matrix blanks before and have two more in the works right now. These are really nice blanks but they are also very quick and so far every one has CC'd at more than Amtak rates them for. Go to the CCS Data Site and look at the numbers for the few Matrix blanks that are there. My guess is that you'll want to use a 3 weight line because the 2 weight just won't load it properly, unless you plan on casting more than 40-50 feet on a regular basis.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 03:40PM

Gold wire SFs will look great. Get a #10 gold plated and ceramic SF for the stripper.

Date: April 23, 2005 01:12AM

I had mine CC'd at Charlotte by the man himself (Dr. Hanneman), and it came out below the recommended designation--

7'9" 3 weight AmTak Matrix came out at 2.82 ERN and 68AA

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 09:45AM

James - I've recently finished 2 green blanks with a gold theme - a Rainshadow RX7 6' 6" 2wt and a Pac Bay Rainforest 7'6" 4wt. I used gold SF's for the running guides on both. The only issue I had was that I could not find gold rings for a all cork seat/grip for the Rainshadow . I ended up using some brass rings from the hardware store, but I'm not really happy with the set up. Maybe someone has a good idea/source for gold rings for a double sliding band seat. Other than that, I'm pleased with the look and performance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster