I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glue problem. Need help
Posted by: Mark Leone (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 06:08PM

I screwed up! I used Gorilla glue to attach an Aftco roller tip to a rod that I just built. Due to exhaustion, I installed the tip upside down. The glue is now set. What do I do? Please help.

Oh, and before you ask..... I dont use tip top adheasive because it has loosened up on me in the past in the HOT South Florida sun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glue problem. Need help
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 06:15PM

Mark, Have you tried hot water. You probably shouldn't have to heat it any hotter than 190 degrees, rotating the tip in and out of the water until the glue softens.
Good luck
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 10:52PM

When you heat it, don't twist the tip too hard or the blank will fall apart inside the tube. You might try hot water or a torch (briefly).

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 12:39AM

I'm with Patrick (if he can get water that hot in Alaska). Bring a pan of water to a boiling roil (sp) on the stove, turn the heat down a bit until it just stops the roil. Put the tip of the rod in there for 5 minutes or so. Grab on and pull straight, don't twist, with something wrapped to protect the tip top from plier marks. Keep dunking and pulling until it comes off (it will; sometimes ya just gotta be a stubborn Norwegian like me!).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.153.38.171.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 05:08AM

In cases where an inadverdently installed tip needs to come off I have alwasy suggested to sacrafice the tip to save the blank. In almost ALL cases I wind up grinding the tip off. Grinding off the tip reduces the risk to the blank to a minimum. Sacrafice the least expensive component - the tip not the blank....

In the case of a roller tip sound to me lke the blank may be a heavy trolling type that may be a little more tolerant to heat. Applying gentle heat might be worth a try, but I would only try this once (maybe 2x) and only with a briefly applied flame, or the risk damage to the blank.

I have not had much luck boiling parts off, but I guess you can try this too.

Lou

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 10:31AM

I'd go with the application of heat, but I semi-straightend a eye bolt and screwed it in the edge of my bench. After heating the guide I hook the guide with the eye bolt and pull straight away. It works even better if you have someone lend a hand by pulling while you apply heat.

By the way, this was not originally my idea. I got it from someone here, just can't recall who.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: john w. kuebler (---.240.114.94.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:10AM

What about fishing the rod up with an acid wrap? John

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:38AM

Oh Putter.......And we even started building regular houses instead of igloos..

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 11:56AM

John, you can't use regular (Aftco) roller guides for a spiral wrap.

I would try the boiling method first. Then move on to the dry heat method...pulling straight away and NOT twisting! Then...if all that fails, cut the blank right where the tip stops, resize, and order a new top.

Jay

Posted by: Mark Leone (---.idstelcom.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 02:07AM

Thanks guys for all of the responses. I used a torch and heated the tip off. I now have a new problem...... I can't build rods after work, I'm just too darn tired. I built 2 new rods and glued the reel seats ON the spine for a conventional reel instead of opposite the spine. (I'll start a new post). will this be a problem? Should I just deal with it, or try to get the reel seat loose. I dont want to ruin the the reel seat, its an anodized Aftco seat. What are my options?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster