I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bleached cork
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.199.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:58PM

in my endless reading on the internet , i've run across references to "bleached cork." is this something a dealer or supplier does do improve the look of the cork rings? is it something builders do to the complete handle? does anyone ever do this to rings or preformed cork handles? if so, do you dilute with standard bleach or does springtime blossom work out better than say... fresh meadow? ;-)

just wondering.

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bleached cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2005 08:53AM

It's part of the cork harvesting and treatment process. Yes it does improve the appearance of the cork but it mainly serves to rid the cork of molds and fungus after the soaking operation.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.112.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:28AM

thanks tom. i just glued up a cork grip, my first with "super grade, one step below flor? as everyone who works with cork knows, the quality of the rings leave a LOT to be desired even though they looked somewhat nice before sanding. seems everytime i eliminate a bad area by shaping, something else appears. egads! looking forward to the latest iissue and the grading scale.

so it had ocurred to me... bleaching might help in some way. staining, though i like the coloration, would just darken some bad areas from one test i did a few weeks ago.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 18, 2005 03:34PM

No one knows what Super Grade or Flor Grade are supposed to look like - can you find any photos or a grade scale depicting either?

The bleaching lightens the cork color. Some like it some don't. Some are bleached more than others. But generally bleaching isn't going to hide any imperfections.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 18, 2005 03:47PM

"can you find any photos or a grade scale depicting either?"

i HOPE to very soon, once my last issue of rodmaker arrives. :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 18, 2005 05:51PM

Yes, the rod maker's cork grade scale is in the issue upcoming, but there are no photos of Flor or Super grades, as there are no standards for what either of those are supposed to look like. Hopefully you'll find the new (first?) scale to be helpful on future cork purchases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster