I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting and shaping EVA grip meterial
Posted by: Jim Gerst (165.83.174.---)
Date: April 16, 2005 03:54PM

I am building a Surf Rod using EVA material for the grips. Any segestions on cutting and shaping EVA?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Gerst

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting and shaping EVA grip meterial
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.dnvr.qwest.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 04:43PM

If I am using square turning stock,I will start by "rounding" off the hard edges with a knife. Cutting is then done with a small hobby saw. I don't worry if the edges are at a perfect right angle at this point because I typically cut them a little longer than my desired finished length. This allows for any shrinkage in length due to compression of the EVA. Then I sand to nearly the final shape I am after. I say nearly, because most final sanding is done on the blank once the grip is securely epoxied to the blank. The final sanding I do sometimes requires the seat mounted to get the "fit" that may be required. While its a step by step thing that may take longer,I find it to work very well for me. Any decent commercially made power wrapper should be adequate for shaping EVA grips. If you do not have one,many of the Sponsor vendors listed to the left will carry the Flexcoat cork lathe setup. This may prove to be more than adequate for your needs.By using scrap blank sections or even wood doweling material,you have a handy set of turning mandrels at little or no cost. I would advise against using too much pressure on your sanding material as it may bend the mandrel,thus giving you an "out of round" grip. Just make sure that the turning mandrel is leveled.There is an excellent article in the latest Rodmaker magazine on making one of these centering tools yourself.
Best wishes
Chuck

Re: Cutting and shaping EVA grip meterial
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 06:54PM

As Tom suggests in Rodmaker if you have the grip on a mandrel and spinning use D thread but dont wrap it around your fingers to cut the material.This gives a straight cut.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster