I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Power Wrapper
Posted by: Kevin Holt (---.tnt2.per1.da.uu.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 07:34AM

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new Power Wrapper.

Who prefers what, I'm looking at The Rodsmith, Renzetti, Custom Power Wrap and Flexcoat OEM, any others to consider ?

I'll be using mostly for Saltwater Rods, some fly and would like to be able to shape grips on the warpper.

Thanks for any advice/ opinion.

Kev

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Power Wrapper
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2005 08:56AM

You're looking at a pretty broad range of machines there. The Renzetti and Custom Power Wrap are the more expensive and more capable ones. If you have the money to spend, then one of those two is going to be a terrific lifetime investment. If you can't justify the $600+ price, then you can consider the Pacific Bay, Batson Enterprises or American Tackle machines, or one of the Flex Coat models. All of these represent a really good value and can get you off and running for about $300.

Personally if I was going to be shaping grips on the rod, I'd opt for the Renzetti with 1/10 HP motor or the CPW with the reduction "gearbox." Not that you can't do it on the others, but the more expensive machines are designed for heavier duty work. But again, if you can't justify the cost, the others are just a tremendous value and will do the job.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: April 16, 2005 09:02AM

I've been using the Pac-bay for about 4 years or so now, still running strong. I've shaped a few handles, even though I suck at it. Image in my mind and the shape that comes out seem to be different. I wish I had the $$ for the Renzetti. I don't care for the tension device on mine, seems no matter how much I tighten it up I can't get any more tension out of it. I'm not sure whether to wait and get a better wrapper or get the upgraded chuck and the new clip on thread carriages that are available.

Posted by: Dennis Gillotte (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 01:30PM

I ran across the paperwork for my Clemens lathe and the date on the receipt was 1985 (man time flies). I lived along the California coast and used it primarily for saltwater rods. But when transfered inland I made a lot of ultralite and misc. freshwater rods. Work took all my attention for some years and the unit was packed away until this year. I retired 5 years ago but the eyes wern't so good and I didn't feel I would use it again. I almost gave it away once or twice but I saw on the internet the opti-visor and now I'm working on a Bass Cranking rod (am I ever RUSTY). Well to make a long story longer...................lol you might shop around for a used high end unit as they withstand the test of time. Mine works like new and I was even able to upgrade the Thread Carriage to the modern 8 spool unit from Renzetti (most parts are interchangeable). One of these days when it is time to pass it on to the next wrapper I'm going to give a young newbe a good deal on a great piece of equipment that I definatly got my monies worth out of.

dennis in pasadena

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (131.60.10.---)
Date: April 16, 2005 02:34PM

I purchased the Pac Bay a few years ago. Very good system for the money ( I don't particularly care for the tension device either though). There was no way I could justify the Renzetti, still couldn't. But I did go out and purchase a Jet mini lathe a few weeks ago for turning wood handles, cork handles, pens, small bowls etc.etc. For the same money as a Renzetti, I feel that I have a better range of versatility. AND, I don't have to worry about getting cork dust or any other turning caused mess around my rod building area.

Jay

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 02:46PM

I have both the PacBay and a Renzetti. Both are good units. The PacBay has the new chuck head so the blank well not work out.. With the Renzetti you can do more things and the line carrage is much smoother. Yo can't go wrong with ether unite (a Rod Smith is reall a PacBay unite
Good Wraps Bob Kevin you have a hidden email address

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 11:22PM

The custom power wrap is the way to go. built 200 rods last year at the shop that i work . all saltwater . no problems . just a real nice machine .

Posted by: Kevin Holt (---.tnt1.per1.da.uu.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 05:55AM

Thanks for the replys guys,

Money isn't an issue, I can't justify it but I don't care !! I'm currently negotiating with someone who reckons they can build me the ultimate wrapper featuring things like brakes and reverse, electro magnetic clutch and other sexy stuff, I'll let you know what I decide and post pics here.

Kev.

P.S. Sorry Bob, I don't know why my e-mail is hidden and can't seem to change it, anyway it's pennygum@ozemail.com.au

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:12AM

Hey kevin do you think you can get me one with a turbo and N.O.S.? just kidin

Posted by: Lance Sugimoto (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 06:21PM

FYI---I just bought the Pac Bay power wrapper and when I received it there was a form that says I get a free rod dryer. The offer is on there web site and is only good if power wrapper is bought before May 1,2005.

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 08:22PM

I just got a new Pac Bay unit with the rod dryer offer - rod dryer just arrived too. I mainly needed something to turn cork handles and didn't want to invest in renzetti as nice as it is. I fooled around a bit with my pac bay and was having fits getting enough tension on the wraps. Finally, I took the whole tensioner thing apart and tried to figure out how it was supposed to work. Seems like you need to get the thread at least partially sandwiched between the tensioner plates - not just riding in the groove around it. Once I got the thread between the plates and adjusted tension - I got some nice tight wraps. And, yes, I really hate cork dust. And now I like wrapping guides with it - power makes long underwraps go easily.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster