I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fighting Butt help
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:02AM

I got the parts(plug and insert only) yesterday to making a fighting butt for a saltwater rod. I've never done one these before and want to find out what people recommend for the end of fighting butt. The catalogs all seem to show something black, which I assume is probably EVA. I plan to Andy Dear's exotic cork and I'm looking for suggestions on how to finish off the end.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fighting Butt help
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.104.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:25AM

For one that is glued on I usually glue the rings together, shape then glue to a scrap blank section that fits into the butt of the rod, fill the hole in the end, coat if you want. You may have to drill out some of the end of the blank to make it fit. When dry I just glue - rod bond - it in place.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:32AM

If you're using Andy's exotic burl, a piece of the 1/4" burnt exotic burl on the butt trims it up well.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 05:59PM

Gerry,
I like a short fighting butt on my rods. I leave an inch of the blank sticking out past the reel seat. I glue two cork or burl rings and turn one to fit the inside of an eva butt cap. I shape the other ring to match the butt cap and bore out cork to fit the blank. I then epoxy the cork and cap and let it set-up clamped to get a good fit. Finally I epoxy the fighting butt to the end of the blank. Check the photo section; I posted a grip with fighting butt that I made this week.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 07:00PM

If it's not goint to be a removable butt , I do it like Ellis . For the detachable ones with the incert , some of the stems do fit in the blank , but be sure to fit them with some type of shim , I like thread , or if there is a lot of space , masking tape . As for the butt itself , and I think you are asking about the end , you can use any of the burl corks available (Andys is very nice and durable so far) . The composite (rubberized) burl is pretty durable , I have never used EVA or hylapon for the very end .As for an end cap look in the hardware section of the home stores for table leg ends , pharmacys for crutch ends , and coins work also . What ever you put on the end will have a better chance of staying on if there is a post attached to it , to go inside the butt cork . Use your immagination , you can get it to look nice and be functional . Have fun . JHD

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster