I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone else getting less then quality blanks these days
Posted by: David Bradley (65.77.136.---)
Date: April 15, 2005 09:04AM

I recently had a warranty blank that was replaced, when I got the new blank it was just HORRIBLE. I am not going to mention names of manufactures here, but I have heard from another builder that agreed the quality (straightness being the big complaint) of the blanks from a couple of manufactures?

Is anyone else seeing this trend? Is it the decisions of many companies to move manufacturing overseas? Or are the cutting corners to compete with overseas prices here in the US?
Thanks Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else getting less then quality blanks these days
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2005 09:15AM

I've seen very few straight rod blanks in my day and I've been building rod for over 25 years now. Obviously, there's a difference between a gentle overall bend and severe crooks or kinks, but I'm not so sure that this is any worse than it has been in the last 15 years or so. High modulus graphite blanks are almost never going to be extremely straight. You're dealing with very fine diameters (some mandrels have tips not much larger than few human hairs) and somewhat difficult materials. So I guess that depends on just how bowed or warped you're actually talking about.

The blanks made overseas and sold through US companies actually seem to be on the upswing both quality and performance-wise. Go back 10 or more years and the blanks coming from the orient were almost laughable. You can't say that now.

Across the board, I can't say I have seen a drop in quality - if anything, today there are more quality products available for the rod builder than ever before.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:10AM

Two reasons other than cost that have the blank business trending towards blanks built overseas is quality and uniformity. Many overseas manufacturers are now producing blanks that domestic manufacturers are hard pressed to compete with in these areas.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2005 10:10AM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (198.22.21.---)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:48AM

In my twenty plus years of rod building I have not had to return a blank due to poor quality. Recently I have bought Pac Bay, Batson, and St. Croix and got very good quality in rod blanks.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 12:00PM

I build on a lot of blanks from several different manufacturers but have only a had a problem with one in their high modulus blanks but this problem has been going on for several years. I can tolerate a small bend in one plane but when a blank has significan beds in it that go in two different directions I can not tolerate that. The problem is when I send one back I get a replacement that is just as bad. Plus most other companies that I am familiar with that build both rods and blanks select what they call blank quality out from what is called rod quality and the blank quality is the best that they build and is what we get when we buy a number one blank. I do not belive that this company does this selection though because the blanks and the rods that I look at in the sporting goods stores are equally bad in terms of straightness.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: April 15, 2005 12:43PM

I just had a problem recently with a Cabelas IM7 bass blank. I was trying to scrape a bit of epoxy off the blank with my fingernail and the finish actually chipped off. I put LS Supreme over the top as it was in the same area as a decal and chalked it up to a cheap ($$) blank. Hope the finish on all of them isn't so brittle though, or they won't last long. Maybe good candidates for painting?

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 15, 2005 03:43PM

I started making rods prior to graphite. The very best graphite blanks I ever experienced were made by J. Kennedy Fisher when Joe Fisher operated the business. I am fortunate that I still have many Fisher blanks to work with. Today the quality just cannot compare. Lamiglas seems to have the edge now at least in straightness. The greatest drop in quality has been in guides, in my opinion.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 07:19PM

I have to say that consistency and quality are first and foremost here at Lamiglas. We do cull our blanks for the custom builder and save the slightly bowed blanks for rods. Even when we were selling blems most of them were better than some first quality blanks I have inspected. I do have the opportunity to check thousands of blanks in import rods. The quality has increased considerably of the past couple of years. The consistency is great in each batch but is lacking from batch to batch.

Todd

Posted by: Jeffrey Stickle (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 07:36PM

If you don't like the quality send it back. I have seen plenty of straight blanks with no noticable doglegs or bends. In fact Don Morton had a set of eight that Lamiglas produced.

This is supposed to be high tech so, it is my opinion, that you should get straight blanks. If you cannot, then switch manufacturers. This is not to say you might have problems from time to time but I'd put my money on Batson, Lamiglas or St. Croix.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 08:42PM

Jeffrey,
I am not very familiar with St. Croix and can not comment on their blanks but I agree with you about Lamiglas and Batson. I have built a lot of rods from blanks from both Lamiglas and Batson and have never had any problems with straightness with their blanks.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:09PM

One thing I can say about Lamiglas- I have three "blems" that I purchased and have been saving, recently building my cousin a walleye rod on one. I have no idea what's wrong with them. I think one is the very butt of the rod came out kinda screwy, about 1/4 of an inch of the bottom is fatter than it should be. It's gonna be under a butt cap anyway.

Phil

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 09:10PM

I had Bob McKamey send me 6 more Lami's after Charlotte. Beautiful; straight and I'm impressed and really, always have been with them. Good work you're doing, Todd!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 08:58AM

Who should pay for the return shipping if a blank is bent to bad build or broken? I just ordered several rods from a sponsor, one was very bent and one broke doing a static test. These two blanks, compared to others just like it I have built , appear to be seconds but are advertised as first runs???????? Also, the blank that broke on me had about four inches sticking out of the plastic cap it was shipped in! I Wonder why it broke?

This kind of thing will kill your customer relations if you don't handle it right. Shipping is very expensive these days (7' blanks) and it is almost not worth shipping back their trash if you have to pay for it.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 03:35PM

Mike,
I would call them first and see what they can do for you. In some cases they will just replace them, especially if the price of the blank is less than it cost to ship.

Todd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster