I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat finish pumps?
Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:40PM

Does anyone out there use the pumps that Flex Coat sells for use in their larger bottles of finish?I just recieved a pair and was wondering about reliability of measurement amounts.Will they keep primed after each use?They have a means of locking them in the down position.Should they be kept locked down between uses?These sure seem handier than syringes if they work right.Thanks in advance for any info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat finish pumps?
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:46PM

I've used the smaller ones and was very happy with them. They stayed primed and I never locked them in the down position. I'm now using a different kind of finish and the pumps don't fit, but after reading it here, I drilled holes in the caps that were just barely big enough for the syringe tips and just leave them in their little holes when I'm not using them - no mess at all and it's a free fix.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 06:19PM

The pumps work, but if not used often enough they will lose their prime, especially after they have been used for a few months. I think a sort of buildup forms in the check valve portion of the pump, because once cleaned they will work fine for some time before a repeat performance. I never left mine depressed though, so maybe that is a fix for losing prime.

West Systems Epoxy also sells a kit that includes several sized pumps. These work well too, but with similar performance.

I put the regular caps on the bottles of finish in the lathe, and cut neat round holes in them to fit the pumps. I used the flex coat pumps in two other brands of bottles by cutting similar holes in the caps for a nice tight fit.... I continued to have problems from time to time, so I stopped using them.

I now use large syringes to draw finish from the bottles.

Lou

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 07:59PM

I've used the pumps for about three months now. No problems yet! So far very accurate measurements.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:36PM

I've never had the confidence in them to trust them on finishes although I've used them years on adhesive. They work fine. Onlyl problem I've run into is that the resin tends to thicken in cooler temps and doesn't end up pumping quite as much as the hardener pump does. This could be disaster on epoxy finish.

So, if you use them for epoxy finish, keep those bottles/pumps in a warm place - no cold basements or garages. If you do, I think you'll be okay.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:38AM

I have three of the gallon dispenser units and had to get heaters for them to keep the stuff from forming lumps in the bottom. Three pumps on the handle fills a one ounce medicine cup with 30cc's of resin and hardner. I have had these units since the early 90's and have nothing but praise for them. I have a static mixer that I use for my encapsulated grips which eliminates air bubbles usually generated from stirring the mixture Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster