I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

type of thread?
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:05PM

I saw some thread in which gude broad makes which is two toned. There is a blank and silver and a gold and black. What is it called? Who carries it? Thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: type of thread?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.74.100.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:12PM

That's called trimar. It's about size C and comes in several other combinations. Many sponsors carry it.

Gudebrod also makes two tone size A thread but there are no metallic colors.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:14PM

Mick, I was trying to think of what Gudebrod calls the non-metallic; is it 'variegated'??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:25PM

The all nylon stuff is called Classic Twist, Rice also makes it and if you want some really nice stuff, try Pearsall's from Golden Witch. I tried Trimar on one rod and will never use it again. The stuff is really coarse and it's hard to get a nice finish on it. It will sit there and decompose before I'll waste my time on it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2005 05:37PM by Gerry Rhoades.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.87.236.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:56PM

Randy, what Gerry said. Variegated are the ones that change color every couple inches. Some are pretty cool to work with. I'm not sure if Gudebrod makes any other then their metallic rainbow.

I like trimar in some uses. Makes some pretty nice accents now and then. I don't think I'd want to try thin finishes on it though.

Date: April 14, 2005 06:05PM

I didn't think variegated was right but it's all the alzheimered worm-hole could come up with on short notice!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:10PM

I saw a picture of a spinning rod built on a GF700H blank that used trimar throughout. Guide wraps & all. It looked pretty cool to me.

[momentoffame.com]

Jay

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 10:53PM

The trimar is fantastic on fish patterns to get the scales to sparkle. I've done a few of these on the larger circumference rod butts and they are good to work with and I haven't had any trouble with the finish not taking. I would however be carefull where and when I use them unless you are really into metalic like flash.

Date: April 15, 2005 01:46AM

This shows a guide wrap using Trimar and also some trim bands using it. I think it's good looking stuff and have used it a lot through the years; but I like flash-sells rods! ;)

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 07:25AM

THEre are a lot of companies which offer straight MEtallic Variagated thread, Polyester thread. Rapt Tite has used it on quite a few rods with excellent results. I wouldn't use the Gudebrod stuff on the tiny sissy Mary blanks some of you guys build on (lol). Looks good and finishes just fine on telephone poles.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2005 07:28AM by Billy Vivona.

Date: April 15, 2005 11:29AM

Hey, at least I don't use pink eva on my little walleye rods! One hair out of your chin for every comment like that!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 05:58PM

Putter,
You want my Black and Gold Trimar? If you do, you can have it when you come visit.

Date: April 15, 2005 06:06PM

I've got about 1000 yards of it, but I'll take it as I have to put it on smaller spools every time that I use it. It's one of those "special" deals that I got a long time ago; the spool had broken on a huge one and I thing Angler's Workshop gave me a deal I couldn't refuse!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster