I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Airlines and Rod Tubes.
Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 10:32AM

The previous thread on rods broken while in in the hands of an airline is a real shame. I feel your pain....and discust!

My questions: For all you who travel (fly) frequently with your rods, what is your preferred method of packaging?
I will be leaving for Cabo in 2 weeks and will be taking (checking) my newly finished surf rod. I have been searching for a tube wth a diameter of at least 3.5" to accomodate sz#30 hi-frame guides and a 2pc 9' rod. The only thing I have found, that I can get in 2 weeks is the Plano Extendable 4.5" tube.
Has anyone used this tube for transport? Is there a better option?

Thanks

RB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Airlines and Rod Tubes.
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 10:56AM

I used a 4" PVC thick walled pipe for a tube. I used a regular cap on one end, and a screw off cleanout fitting on the other. I loaded all the rods in, and cushioned both ends and each section individually so there was no way the sections could move around. Then I secured the cleanout piece that screws in with duct tape. The only mistake I made was to listen to the lady at check in on the way home and put a fragile sticker on it. Those baggage guys really beat the crap out of it. They ended up cracking the end with the cleanout on it, and the way it was beat up, it looked like they really went out of their way to abuse it. But in spite of all that not one of the rods inside were hurt. Tough and cheap.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 11:23AM

I have one of the Plano expandable tubes and have used it couple times on airline flights. The rods came through OK each time.

Be sure that you have a TSA approved lock for it. If they see anything suspicious as it goes through the giant X-ray machine and you have the wrong lock, they will cut the lock off. Do a search for TSA approved lock and you'll find plenty of options on where to buy them. The best deal I've found is Austin House.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 14, 2005 11:28AM

I've got the Plano tube Gerry uses and so far no problems. Where the padlock is meant to go, I use a twist tie because I know they open and check. I add extra padding to each end with old wadded up t-shirts.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 14, 2005 11:31AM

On my last trip from Toronto to Alberta's Bow river, I also used a PVC pipe with a regular fitting at one end and the screw out fitting at the other. I also lined the interior with foam carpet underpad, and put 3 layers of pad at each end. Then the rods were inside rod bags. The rods snugged in beautifully, with no room to move around. When I travelled, there was a separate counter where unusual items were checked and I was instructed to take the rod there. I did so, and noticed other items like guitars, baby strollers, even canoe paddles in this area. It seemed very secure.

Upon arriving in Alberta, these items were wheeled out on a cart, nicely stacked and barely a scratch on the PVC tube. Bravo to them. I figure if anything would be in peril, it would be the guitar, but it also looked pristine. Good job to Air Canada.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 12:15PM

I have only flown twice since 911, when the airlines stopped allowing me to carry my aluminum tubes onto planes. The first time I used an aluminum tube for a two piece fly rod and checked the tube with luggage. The rod sustained no damage, but the tube was pinched by something heavy. Between trips I built some 9', four piece fly rods which I stowed inside of my luggage in Cabelas rod tubes. Though the suitcase was soft sided, the metal frame and clothing I packed on both sides of the tubes offered enough protection. I'll likely use this method again.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 02:47PM

I have travelled to Hawaii with several rods and had good success with a piece of 4 inch or 6 inch (I can't remember which) ABS pipe from the hardware store. ABS is usually black and has a foam core, making it much lighter in weight than PVC and plenty durable. Also, at the hardware store, you can get test caps for plumbing... the rubber test caps fit on the end of the ABS and can be secured with tape or a pipe clamp. You might want to use tape because it is likely that the tube will need to be opened and the contents will be inspected.

I attached a shoulder strap to the tube for ease of carrying... it was a 7-foot tube for a 1-piece rod. I used beach towels to pad the rod in the tube.

Erik

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: April 14, 2005 03:18PM

The rods mentioned in the previous thread where packed in the same plano tube you are asking about. All I can say is "if they run it over they will break".

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Dave Crowther (---.corp.weider.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 06:00PM

I have been using a DB Dun Bombproof rod carrier for 4 or 5 years now on trips to Alaska. It always gets checked and I've never had a rod damaged in any way. It has a 4" pvc tube that will carry 6-10 rods in their rod sacks. Certainly not the cheapest rod carrier at $90 but it works well and has a built in zipper lock.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 07:12PM

About 9 years ago I purchased a Cabella's 4 inch wide by 60 inch long rod carrier, with lining and cordura outside. This has carried rods to Alaska, Montana, and the East Coast about 8 or 9 times total. Been worth the cost. Locking it is a pain, so I just use black electricians tape over the end of the zipper tab up to and including the zipper. Have not had a problem with TSA yet. Did a couple of international trips with 4 piece rods carried in a square Abel carrier as on-board luggage. No problems but this was prior to 9/11.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 08:15PM

Don't the Airlines lose anyone else's rods, or just mine?

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.3.8.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:09PM

I have a Bazooka Pro Tube by Flambeau, which I got from Cabela's. I wrap my rods in bubble wrap, and placed in tube......rods arrived with no problems.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 08:20AM

I saw Dan's broken rods and the tube they were packed in yesterday. A shame about the rods, one of them was the first he built. It was clear to me that the damge was caused not by the rods shifting in the tube, but because the tube itself had been run over, compressed or even bent - you could see the marks on the tube.

Posted by: don (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2005 12:05AM

Hi, saw your post and wanted to let you know that I have 2 vintage rod carriers that I have used all over the country and to New Zealand by airlines ,buses, jeeps and you name it. These carriers were made espcially for travel and acceptable on all airline for baggage storage when you fly. They are grey telecoping heavy gauge plastic (pvc) carriers made by Kent Zoom Lok with a neat locking device and a screw on type cover. The bottom is solid. The minimum length is 2' 8" to a maximum length 5' 3". The inner diamter is 3". I have transported multple fly and spinning rods in these carriers, up to six and of course this depends on the size of the largest guide. Bought these in 1970 and they look the same as the day I bought them except for minor marks. each also has a heavy duty nylon double adjustable strap that you can sling over your shoulder if trekking thru the woods. I fished both the North and South Islands of New Zealand for 5 weeks with my son in 1972 for rainbows, browns and salmon plus Montana, Wyoming,North Dakota, all the New england states and Florida, North Carolina, California, New Jersey , the Hawian Islands, Mexico and the Marshall Islands. Most of these places I lived in for periods of 2 to 5 years during my carreer. Enough said--let me know if you are interested. Can also send you pictures. Hope to fish Chile next February if I cxan last that long----
Regards, don dpelrine@comcast.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster